Bass Stage Presence. PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HunsBassist, Mar 29, 2005.

1. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I am a bassist from Orlando, FL in a punk/surf/ska band. We've been playing out around Orlando and now we have an artist showcase in Tallahassee. Executives from Epic and Columbia records will be there. I am (excluding the drummer) the main energy on stage. I try to go all out in my stage presence. But I have one problem. I cannot jump very high. For the most part, it just looks ridiculous when I try. And it's kinda hard to carry the energy of a performance staying on the ground. If anybody has any sort of technique that would get a higher liftoff, could you please inform me. Preferably quickly. The showcase is in 2 1/2 weeks. Thank you for your time,
    Matthew O'Donnell of AATH (check us out at
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    even though it's metal, watch Rob Trujillo. He doesn't leave the ground much and has awesome presence
  3. Agreed. There is a fine line between looking like you know what you are doing and tomfoolery. Jumping can be part of both, or neither.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    LOL! How about worrying about how you play rather than how high you can jump. Man...this is a pretty sad statement about the music world today. All style over substance.

5. Too bad substance is usually boring as hell to watch. :eyebrow:

I really hope you weren't serious with that comment, though.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I was dead serious. This is one of the funniest threads I've ever seen. I mean really? "Help me jump higher so we can get signed"
  7. Bassists look very cool standing stock still surrounded by mayhem (and the singer thought the world revloved around him/her).
  8. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    take a dance class and learn what body flight is.

basically you enter the air , and with body language make it SEEM as though your up there longer than you actually were.
    it may require practise , good luck.
  9. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I could not agree more.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Do a search on "trebuchet". If that doesn't take you air time to the next level, forget about it. :cool:
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I happened to notice your song about Terri Schiavo and couldnt help to wonder where you stand on the issue?
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +infinity. After I read what he said, I said my reply to myself, then started to read the other responses. When I came to both of yours, they said what my reply was going to be. With that said...
    Put a trampoline right in front of you and jump on it.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    If only crosby stills and nash could have jumped.
  14. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York

+ 1
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  16. Maybe try lifting your legs and bending your knees more? You just jump a certain height, so dont bother working on that. Try to lift and bend those knees to make it look like you're way up in the air.

Come on guys, the live performance is quite important, especially for a punk band. If the music is good, why not work on the visual aspect to enhance the experience? Do we criticize Pink Floyd for having a laser show or a huge pig? :D
  17. Stage presence is nice and all, but thinking about it seems to go against what good stage presence really should be. If you're really into the music you're playing, ("feeling it", if you will) you're going to look like it...that's stage presence.

In other words, 2 inches on your vertical isn't going to make the difference (though I can help you improve your vertical, if you really want - it's good for sports).
  18. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I don't really see what's wrong with wanting to put on an entertaining stage show. Maybe it's just where I grew up (east bay area), but I can't help but move around on-stage, especially if I'm feeling what I'm playing. As far as jumping is concerned, try stretching your legs or something before you go on stage. Couldn't hurt. I'm more into doing a bit of a jig-type thing whenever jumping is involved. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but..yeah. Just try not to look like you're forcing anything up there. That's gotta be one of my biggest peeves with people who's natural personality tells them to stand still or something onstage and they try to be a gymnast up there.

sorry about the rant.

Good luck with the show!!!