Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Stand Plans

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by B. Graham, May 25, 2005.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I like this stand for home use. I'd buy one, but right now it would be more affordable to build one. Anyone know of any plans available to do so?

Thanks.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I like that. Do you have any more pics of it from different angles?

I would think that some kind of felt lining would do well to protect the bass.

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Sorry. This is the only picture I've seen.

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    That is a bass stand from Kolstein's. It does have padding and a felt lining. The bass fits in it quite securely (snugly?), but you need to make sure you a tall enough ceiling to get the bass out if lifted straight up, or have enough room to the side to tilt the bass as you remove it from the stand.

5. I use one of these. It's $80 or so. Maybe a little ovedpriced, but it does the job.

6. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    But it's metal. And you just can get a good tone out of that. <g>

More interesting is the bass on the site. Check out the pear shaped bass.

http://www.brobstviolins.com/gallery/gallery.asp?T=Bass

7. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
  8. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think it's meant to. To scare away the bad notes.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I used to do some gigs with Sha Na Na...that scroll is a dead ringer for John "Bowser" Bowman!

10. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    That's what I have right now, and it does do the job, and it's easy to haul around.

The box type stand would be nice in the house, and possibly make the bass in the living room more tolerable to my wife. It might be fun to build too, maybe even with some groovy figured wood.

11. Marcus - you did gigs with Sha Na Na?!

RESPECT! :hyper:

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The bad thing about the box stand is that you have to drop the endpin every time you put the bass away. That's a bummer.

I use the Ingles stand. Not as pretty, but the endpin stays just where I like it til it's time to haul her out on the town.

13. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I use the corner stand. Its free - well, it came with the apartment. I highly reccomend it.

14. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Years ago, I was advised against that b/c of pressure on the neck.

Disclaimer: I'm not a luthier and I don't play one on the radio.

Perhaps, one of the luthiers could advise on this.

15. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    When I put my bass in a corner, the front of the bass faces the corner and the bass rests on the front of the shoulders. The neck and scroll do not make contact with the walls.

That being said, I would still prefer something more secure.

16. Turn the bass so it faces the corner. Upper bout touches the walls, the neck doesn't.

17. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I got one of those corners with my house too. Not a bad route except for the 6 year old out of contol kid that I have in the house too.

18. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York

Owch...bass carnage

Also, tension on the neck? The bass rests on the upper bouts, bridge facing the corner. How does this cause tension on the neck. Sorry for the triplet posting, just thought this needed one more *** :p

19. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've never put it in the corner. I just remember being told by one of my teachers not to do that. I don't have any available corners in my house AND the kids do run around so it would not be a good idea for me.