1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass stand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by rkilstrom, Apr 13, 2006.

1. rkilstrom

rkilstrom

Apr 7, 2006
    Has anyone made their own bass stand? I'm looking at building one like this:
    [​IMG]

Has anyone built one similar to this?

This is be driven from a recent incident. I had the bass in the baby room (I know...first mistake) temporarily cause we were repainting and the 1 year old pulled it over on him. Luckily, it pretty much missed him and the bass took a soft fall onto some pillows (lucky again) that the older kids and him happened to be playing with. So now I'm looking to build something like this that I can add weight to the bottom so it won't ever come over, no matter how hard he pulls it.

I have since learned from the bass incident. My stand mounted speakers now weigh 65lbs. a piece to keep this from happening. He's tried with them and can't budge them.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think with that stand you have to retract your endpin whenever you put the bass in.

There's someone on this site (I cannot remember who it is at the moment) but on his website he has two stands that he built. One is made of wood and the other is pvc pipes. I think his design might be more sturdy. Perhaps someone will remember who this is or he will see this post and say something.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    If you look around you can find an Ingles stand. They aren't as pretty, but you can leave your endpin out and the neck is locked into place by this plastic flippy dealy thing. Pretty sturdy, I use them at trade shows where the basses get abused. Here's a pic for ya. Most folks sell them around 40 or 50 shmooks I believe.

Attached Files:

4. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    That's on Bill Bentgen's site

http://www.billbentgen.com/bass/bass_stand.htm

I have a Ingles, as John Sprague noted, it ain't pretty but it works. It's great for picking up the bass for a 5 minute break when you walk by.

Ron

5. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    That's the one I was thinking of. Thanks.

I also have an Ingles. It works fine but I think this person wants something a little more stable (childproof). The Ingles is stable enough but I don't think it would withstand a small child pushing on the bass though.

6. . . . or trying to climb up the front :eek:

7. rkilstrom

rkilstrom

Apr 7, 2006
    I could probably make the Ingles work if the tubes are sealed and I drill a hole in them to fill with heavy material (lead shot, aquarium rocks, etc). But ideally my wife would like something that looks nice. And I don't mind retracting the endpin to store it.

The baby is nearing two and should be easily trainable to avoid pulling on the bass. He already puts himself in time-outs when he knows he's done something we don't allow.

8. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I would think that the one on Bill Bengton's site could be made to look quite nice. Put a nice finish on it, attach some sort of soft strap to go across the body of the bass (below the fb) to secure it in place.

I think the only way to make the Ingles more sturdy would be to attach the bottom legs (feet if you will) to a sqaure sheet of plywood (or something) with U-bolts. Or drill through them and attach with bolts.

9. The metal stand would look fine. I have something similar, and what it does is make the bass a part of the room, instead of just clutter. It'll show it off, instead of covering it up.

10. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    OK, anybody with older kids want to take this? Mine are 18 and 15 and I'm interested in this easily trainable idea! Let us know how it works out for you. ;) ;)

11. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Me too. I think the electric shock collar is frowned upon. I hear food incentives work to a degree. :bag:

12. My husband built this for the kid's Eastman basses (carved model 200 and laminated model 80). :D We could add a cord that would lightly wrap around the neck and hook to the wall to prevent a bump from knocking it forward.

Attached Files:

13. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City

I think it could work as long as there's no cats around in the house :smug:

14. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    We have a similar thing to hold the basses in place at the academy over here, but instead of holding the bass at the shoulders, it is held at the neck. It's a pretty simple design: you neeed to but up a sturdy shelf, and cut a semicircular hole in it, big enough to easily cradle the neck of the bass. Line the inside of the semicircle with some soft material so that there's no chance of scratching. Then just attach a small strap over the opening and you have a really secure and small-people proof bass holder. You don't have to adjust the spike, and you have a handy shelf with space for your bass goodies. It works best when you lean the bass into the wall on its side, as its possible to rotate the bass if you haveing facing 'out'.

15. Hey All,

Noticed this thread and thought I'd post up a picture of the bass stand I just finished for my two basses - Total building cost was ~$100 (including the premium paint job to keep it looking trendy!)

Super Sturdy Design, plus I don't have to worry about anyone knocking a bass out of it -

fm

Attached Files:

16. I have that bass on the right. :D

Your stand looks good, but how do you get the basses in and out?

17. Hello,

Hope your bass has been less of a hassle than mine - A nice sounding instrument, but I've paid big $$ to get it that way!

The two cross bars on the stand are on hinges with an inside latch to secure them in place. So, you unlatch the wooden bar, swing it open and voila! Out comes the bass (Well you do have to lift it out, but you get the idea!)

fm

18. How high is your ceiling? Lifting the bass to put it in and remove it from that box would require it to be raised at least a couple of feet. That could be trouble with a standard ceiling.

Ingles is the way to go.

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Somewhat similar to how they hang basses at Hammond Ashley. There they have a two large pads on the wall (one for the back of the body, one for the back of the scroll). The basses hang from a loop of rope leaning on the wall.