Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Stands - Quik Loc or Ultimate Genesis

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mattwells, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    Okay, I am getting guitar stands for my new church, and have narrowed it down to these two types. Here are the caveat's: the other bass players knobs sit right on the edge of his bass, and the arms at the bottom of A-frame stands will hit them. And, the other bassist and I both play wide necked basses (a wide neck 5 and a six, respectively), so they may/may not fit in the Genesis. Has anyone tried a wideneck bass in the genesis? How did it work out?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I really like the Genesis.

My 1.75"@nut P-Bass still has about 1.5" of the Genesis V-shaped headstock support sticking out beyond the fretboard while it's in the stand.

I hope this helps...

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I've got a Genesis GS100 (one w/o bottom support) and it holds my 5 string Dean Edge fine

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The Quick Lock Stands seem to be a little on the flimsy side. More of an older design and kind of dated, to me at least. I personally use the Ultimate Genesis GS-50. I like the compact size and very heavy feel. I feel secure putting my bass in it.

5. I'll never buy another Genesis stand having had 2 of the GS100s fail and the good folk at Genesis refuse to fix/replace under the "lifetime" warranty. Bah!

In both cases the mechanisim that locks the vertical tube in place fell apart.

Since then, I found these:

Hercules Stands

Very reliable!

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    2 fo my Guitar Players use these! They love them. But they, for some reason use the BS-550B, which is a French Horn Stand. It does work very well for my bass on occasion!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have two six strings and 2 wide neck 5 strings, and they all fit in my Ultimate Genesis stand with room to spare.

The Hercules is a great stand, and if you are going to keep it in one place from now on, might be the right choice for you.

I have never had any problems with the 3 Genesis stands that I have owned, other than the fact that somebody liked them enough to steal one of them.:(

The thing that I like about the Genesis is that they fold up so small.

I can put one in my pedal case, and the other in my gig bag. Less stuff to carry!:bassist: