1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass-Stereo amplifier connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoltank8, Aug 24, 2007.

1. zoltank8

zoltank8

Aug 24, 2007
    Budapest
    Hi,

I do not have a stand alone bass amp at the moment and would like to listen to my bass practice at home though a stereo Technics amplifier (2x100W). Can I do this w/o damaging the amplifier? Directly connected or maybe through the PC soundcard line-in?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

2. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    You can do this safely. I started this way myself 100 years ago! (the stereo, not the computer!) You'll need to get an audio adapter with a 1/4" phone jack going to an RCA phono plug. To then get the sound to both channels, either use an RCA phono type "Y" adapter, or just plug into just the left (OR) right channel and select "mono" on your Technics amp. These connectors are available at Radio Shack. Here's the important part: do NOT plug into the input LABELED as "Phono," if this amp has it. By this I mean a "phonograph" input, not necessarily a phono-type jack. A phono input is far too sensitive (loud) and you could overpower your amp and speakers, as well as produce nasty distortion. Also, phono(graph) equalization is for magnetic phono cartridges only and is totally wrong for anything else. Use a CD, tape, or AUX input instead. The tone may be a bit bland, but more than adequate for practicing.

For your computer's sound card input use a 1/4 phone jack to 1/8 plug adapter, then plug that into an adapter consisting of a mono 1/8" to an 1/8" stereo plug. The 1/8" stereo plug goes into your sound card's line input.

You may experience excessive "loading" (lowered volume and somewhat dampened tone) if you are going in directly from a passive bass, but it should work well for practicing with virtually no risk to the Technics amp, soundcard, or computer as long as you carefully bring the volume up gradually, especially when you are testing this for the first time.

3. zoltank8

zoltank8

Aug 24, 2007
    Budapest
    Thanks a bunch fro yr answer.