Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Stool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Gabe, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I play classical bass and was wondering what is the correct height, style, or any other pertinent information regarding the selection of a seat.

I would also prefer not to spend a whole lot of money getting a stool.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Check out some real nice drum thrones with the back rest attached to it.They are a lot more comfortable then most stools I got a real nice deal on 1 I purchased at Sam Ash when they often have there blow-out sale.Remenber most professional Drummers are playing maybe at least 4 to 5 sets,4 or 5 days a week so comfort is of the utmost.A good 1 may set you back a good $100.00 bucks,maybe.But they are well worth it.Hopes this helps.:oops:

3. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Would almost all drum stools be tall enough to play upright from?

Gabe:)

4. I don't think so. Most professional player I know use some type of bar stool. You can by cheap bar stools at discount stores, but they don't hold up as well as the better made metal or hard wood stools. I bought an unfinished solid oak bar stool from one of the unfinished furniture places, finished it with varathane varnish and then had a upholstery shop add a thick padded seat to it. I've been using it for over ten years and it is still solid as a rock. When I used the cheap stools, I was replacing them every six months.

5. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Thanks!

I'm 5' 5". Would I probobly do better with a 24 or a 29 inch stool?

Gabe

6. Try them both and choose the one that feels most comfortable to you.

7. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Really nice drum thrones - like rock n' socks, are MUCH cheaper and seem nicer than the very few bass stools I have found online. Our drummer has a rock n sock, so I am going to look at it and see how hard it would be to make it so it adjusts higher - you may be able to put it on a heavy duty cymbal stand or something. If this works out, I will buy one. I'll let you guys know the results.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I needed a throne/seat for all-nighters after a plane crash screwed-up my back.

The Quiklok products blew away all the incredibly uncomfortable "bar stool-type" seats out there. Besides, they didn't fold up for easy transport in the gear truck.

Apparently, they don't make the model I have any longer, but it is very similar to the one shown below. They're totally adjustable ---- audiences think I'm standing due to the way I adjusted mine.

[​IMG]

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

That looks interesting. Where can you find these, and what kind of price are we talking about here?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It looks more like "The Bass Chair" - I've heard a lot of people talking about something like this and how desirable it is to get!! ;)

11. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I found it on Quicklok's site, it's the D-749 - and there are some other interesting looking ones too. Except I can't find an online dealer that actually has this stuff. Am I actually going to have to GO to a STORE?

12. rickbass

Since I started this trouble......

- I checked the model # on my Quiklok (#714). I think they've been replaced by a newer model, however it appears www.recordinggear.net and/or www.mickface.com still has them for $75 less, ($125) than I paid at zZounds.com when that company stocked them.

If the backrest isn't important to you, you might consider the D-739 that's under $100 (at least at zZounds) -

[​IMG]

If all else fails, go to the Quiklok website where they have a map of the USA that enables you to find dealers within your state.

13. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just ordered one through my local dealer. Sight unseen, but this thing looks perfect, and still much cheaper at the msrp they are chargin me ($149) than anything else I've seen. They say 1-2 weeks - apparently the disti has a bunch on the left coast.

14. rickbass

Hope you find it meets your needs, lermgalieu.

Just some friendly advice - When you use the adjustment knobs, you have to pull on them to release them from the holes in the frame. Simply loosening them won't do it. (It doesn't come with instructions, but they'd be in Italian anyway).

15. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't know exactly how high it goes, but looks plenty high enough. Other than that, I am willing to bet it will work great.

16. God I hate it when my Kay forgets to flush....:eek: :D :)

Fetch!

17. Can anyone who owns one of these quiklock stools tell me if the seat angle is adjustable?

I always modify barstools to put around 15-20 degrees of angle (down to the front, up in back). For me it makes a huge difference in comfort, helps keep the back in a nice natural curve with less of a fight.

(BTW, I stand more than I sit, and usually only sit when playing classical music, but that's just me. When I sit, I do like that little bit of angle)

18. rickbass

On the model I have, the seat angle is determined by how far you distance the front support bar from the rear support bar. Think of those 2 bars as this shape - /\ where the distance between those two lines can be varied. The farther you increase that distance, the more level the seat becomes.

I keep mine so that the seat is tilted downwards towards the stage. When I'm actually using it for support, it appears that I'm standing because of the seat's angle and the height where I adjusted it.

19. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I was reviewing this older thread about the Quickloc and other ideas for bass stools. I've been experimenting with various stools/chairs. I thought the new portable padded chair from Lemur would be the right one, but it gets uncomfortable after awhile. Its light and portable but the seat is not the right design for bass. A regular stool is okay for home but not very portable for carrying any great distance while wheeling a bass.

What has been your experience with the Quickloc's? Do you still like them? Do they hold up or fall apart over time? How much do they weigh (an important girl question)? Or, is their something that doesn't cost a fortune that would be better?
    Are drum thrones high enough to use for bass?

I'd appreciate anything you can enlighten me on about this. :) :)

20. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's not that light or portable, IMO. I don't take it to gigs, but if I did, it would probably be another trip to the car...