1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass storage ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TonyP-, Jun 22, 2018.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hello all

Just a thread to share on how you store your basses. For neck movement reasons I keep my in bags when not in use for more then a few hours and I stared using these.

image.
    What are you using?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    ?

3. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Environmental conditions

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Mine live in their hard cases.

mesaplayer83 and TonyP- like this.
  5. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I leave mine in guitar stands 2 in living room 2 in bedroom . I think it's too much of a hassle taking them out of gig bag everytime I want to play.. I dont know if that would harm the necks .

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have four matching TSA hard cases, the basses stay in them standing vertical on end in a closet … I leave an inexpensive bass out next to my desk that gets the daily/quick grab use ...

7. Tony, if you ever run out of room you're more than welcome to store 'em at my place for a decade or two. :laugh:

8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I buy for quality and looks so I wanna see'm, they hang all around my music cockpit ready to grab.

9. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    If you have a sams club nearby you can get one of those racks with 6 shelves for about $100. I have purchased about a dozen for my restaurant and have started using them at home too.

Mine also lives in my bass room, but is full of kids clothes waiting for the next one.

10. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Ha...If it gets to that point I'm going to ping You!

soulman969 likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have one out on a stand in my practice area. The rest (basses, guitars) are in cases/gig bags lined up vertically in the closet. Takes up the least amount of space, and easy to pick one.

12. Cool idea! However, I want mine quickly accessible so I leave them out of their cases. Come to think of it, I have more basses than cases.

TonyP- likes this.
  13. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I store mine in their hard cases or gig bags and keep them in a room with a humidifier. Here in Texas we run our air conditioning a lot of the year and that dries the air to the extent that it is detrimental to instruments. Low humidity can cause fret sprout and violins can develop cracks. I keep the humidity at 45-50%.

TonyP- likes this.
  14. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Combination of wall hangers and hanging stands. I don't keep them in cases or bags anymore unless they are being transported. I finally have the herd thinned to only the ones I play - with only one exception that just hangs on the wall and makes me smile with nostalgia :thumbsup:

TonyP- likes this.
  15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    WIP racks rule! Nice space, Tony!

Storage space in my house is more of a premium. I get a closet, and not the walk-in variety. So my instruments get stored in their cases vertically lined up across the closet, when not in use.

TonyP- likes this.
  16. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I have the reverse of that...But I never know when someone is sending me something to demo, ect...

17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Thanks @bucephylus
    I try to "high space" space over 4' in as much as possible in my studio for space reasons alone...Now I have my backpacks and such hanging off it so it makes it very organized.

bucephylus likes this.
  18. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I keep mine in cases with humidipaks in my bass room.

19. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I heard that if a storage room is comfortable for a human, it should be good for a bass too. I keep mine on an eight space rack in my basement (along with close to 200 bottles of wine!).

Bones

salcott likes this.
  20. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    My bass room is downstairs in my finished basement, and is a bit cooler than the main floor, where we have the swamp cooler going during the late spring/summer.