Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass storage; standing v.s. lying down

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fender5stringer, Sep 5, 2005.

1. fender5stringer

fender5stringer

Sep 5, 2005
    I need to consolidate space and my bass have to be moved. I considered building a rack going 3 levels high so I could clear up some floor space. The problem is someone told me that, even in a HS case, this is very bad for the instruments and they should only be stored standing up.
    Does anybody have any input on this matter?

thanx :bassist:
    F5S

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I've never heard the "store bass standing up" before in my life. It's dark inside the case, so the bass shouldn't be able to tell which way is up.

I prefer to store myself lying down so I won't get shorter over time. Same goes for the scale of your basses.

Of course, I'm being silly. But I've still never heard of that one.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well right now,

My 73 P is leaning up against a chair, my Jazz fretless is leaning against a teble next to the chair, my PRS is up against a wall, my Dingwall is flat on its back in the open case, my other Jazz is in its case, standing as cases normally do, on its side.

In 20+ years of playing, I've never had a problem with any instrument due to how I've stored it.

4. I hang them from the wall...first, it gets them out of the way, second, they're safe from getting knocked over, third, they're within easy reach to pick up and play, and fourth, they're nice to look at.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    :D

This has to be the most stupid instrument-care story I have ever heard.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    As long as the instrument is supported properly, and the weight of the bass isn't putting bending stress on the neck, you'll be fine.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    just don't store the bass standing up leaning against something...

er, standing on its headstock anyways.