1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass storage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I was wondering how you guys store your basses. I was contemplating getting a three guitar floor rack or some wall hangers but I'm undecided. Right now I have one bass in a hardshell case and two others in padded gig bags. They're lined up along a wall in my "practice room" away from windows and radiators. I figured this might be better to keep them from cold drafts around the windows or from the heat the radiators put off. So, I'm wondering how you guys store your basses and what you think is best. Is keeping mine in the cases a good idea?

2. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    Even though I have several basses, stands, et c, and love to display my collection to friends, my basses are kept in their cases, and put away in a closet. Basses are always safest in their cases.

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I just simply lean my bass (strings inward) on my cab. I also have a guitar stand I use sometimes.

4. +1

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I keep mine out, hung on the wall with Hercules wall hangers. I tend to play all of them much more compared to when I kept them hidden away in a case.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Both of my basses are on stands; when I had more than 2 the extras would be in their cases.

7. All my basses are hung on the wall. My first "real" bass I tried to keep in its case but I played it too much. I got tired of taking it in and out of its case.

Remember folks, if your bass isn't viable, you wont play it as much... out of site out of mind =)

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1 play them way more when they're sitting out asking for it ;)

I keep mine out too all the time - but on floor stands. Even my 1962 P sits out where I can admire it.

They're out of direct sunlight, any kind of foot traffic, and the temp in the room doesn't change much...although...

I always thought it was funny for people who feel the need to put their basses away in their cases for temperature reasons...as if a guitar case was air-tight or provides some kind of protection from extreme temps...LOL

9. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    Hercules stands for me, I often just grab the bass and noodle around for 5 minutes, which I know would never happen if it was in case.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    guitar stands and wall hangers.

goth-03-22.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Wall Hangers or gig bags, although there's usually one or two nestled safely against my leather chair right next to the computer where I do most of my shedding/prep work.

I'm completely off of floor stands...the big modular units like Ric5 has..I would be ok with that if I had a more space. Standard stands just give a false sense of security...the only sizable ding I have on my Dingwall in 18 years is from getting bumped off of a stand.
    img0775oj.

12. The ones that have cases stay in them. The rest on stands.

13. might be a stupid question, but are they are differences in the effects of having them out versus in a bag..like the fretboard drying out, being more succeptable to getting hit by cold air from the AC or head from vents, etc?

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Unless there is direct sunlight beaming onto your bass, or blasting cold/hot air in front of a vent for long periods of time, I think it really doesn't matter if the bass has a plastic shell around it or not to keep it from being affected by the air temperature/conditions.

Ever toured in the winter before? Gear turns ICE COLD in the back of a trailer for hours/days at a time. And that stuff is all packed away nicely in cases and whatnot.

Unless your case is airtight or has some kind of temp control mechanism, I'd say it really doesn't matter, temperature-wise, if your bass is in our out of its case.

15. Mine have been on floor stands for a VERY long time. But they are out of the way of any traffic, and in my back room or my "music room". It seemed everytime I got another bass, I'd get another floor stand (and another leather strap). Currently only 3 basses, and that's good for me until I win the lottery.

I actually haven't played in quite some time, and need to get back into it. In fact I've loosened the strings on my axes, it's been so long. Now I'm rambling...........................

16. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

3 on floor stands in the living room where I see them and therefore play them daily. #4 in a case... no more room in the living room (sigh). They are the nicest pieces of decor we have; the lady of my house may not agree. We have no children, if we did I'm sure they would be on the walls.

Cases do nothing as far as protection from temperature. My 37 year old G3 has been through the mill, dropped, knocked over, frozen, thawed, spilled beer, left un-strung for 15 years :oops: etc. and other than the resulting wear, the environment has had no permanent effect on the neck or body. If the wood is properly cured before construction, few problems will arise. IMO, YMMV.

Edit: Randy Bachman has an old Gretsch White Penguin that was trapped in his sunken cabin cruiser for several weeks that his luthier soaked in distilled water to get the salt out, replaced some binding and fixed some finish. No long lasting effects! I think we underestimate the hardiness of wood that is cared for properly.

17. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I have wall racks and floor stands and when a bass catches my eye, I pick up, tune it up and plug it in.

If I had to go into a closet or crawl under a bed for a case, my practice time would go way down. Basses are made to be played. Display then in way they are safe and accessible! IMO

Basses left stored in cases are basses that do not get played.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Some cases are surprisingly airtight. If you sweat a lot and/or your thick, padded leather strap gets soaking wet and you throw your bass and strap into the case it can "lock-in" some of that moisture. I've seen, and smelt the inside of cases that had their own "environment" going on, if you what I mean. Sometimes it just adds to the mojo, fading, darkening, crazing, dulling, tarnishing, etc.

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Basses I seldom play are in there cases, leaning against the wall in the bedroom.
    My daily player resides in my music room. When not in use, it's in its case... too expensive to leave full time on a stand in earthquake country.

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    All of my basses are stored in their cases on top of keyboard stands to keep them off the floor. In each case is a small pill bottle with a sponge in it. Several holes in the top of each bottle. Once a month, I check all the bottles to make sure the sponge is not dry. Add water as needed. Strings are all brand new! Bodies are wiped clean and they are kept in a room with about 38% humidity to keep the cases from having any problems as well.