Bass store grooves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Adam Clayton, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Adam Clayton

Adam Clayton

Jan 19, 2001
    When you go into a bass store and pick up a bass for a test drive - do you play a specific piece of music / riff etc. espically for those situations or just whatever comes into your head?

I always end up playing the riff at the start of Voodoo Chile (Hendrix)- even though I don't want to!!
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    for me it varies-sometimes guerilla radio-RAGE, or some lil' jazzish line that i've been using it all depends on what i want to use the bass for. Thats all
  3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i make something up on the spot, what i dont do is slap the hell out of it and try to impress everybody
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It's funny because bass players will usually start slapping, and of course, g*itar players will always ALWAYS play either Stairway or Nothing Else Matters. you go to an instrument store, and wait 15 minutes, you'll hear one of those songs. (a well-populated one, anyway)

Mmm... unoriginal guitar players...
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I usually run through a bop head (Anthropology or Scapple being two of my faves), some chordal stuff, and yes, I do slap it a time or two.
  6. Lately, it's been my bands songs. After all, shouldn't you play something that's going to resemble the items actual use?

Apart from that, recent songs have included Stigmata Martyr by Bauhaus and Jumping Someone Else's Train by The Cure.
  7. I agree with everyone... for once. :p

I play my bands songs, to give the bass a run through, afterall i do can the crap out of it during our setlist.

Its true with the Nothing else Matters. I was in a sotre with a guitarist friend. He started playing and all these girls come in and start watching so filled in the backline. Hey! there's exceptions to the rule. plus they were looking at me.................

8. Actually I play usually some scales to hear all the notes and check for dead spots then just play some made up grooves and chords and my bands songs so I know how it's going to sound.

I NEVER! Play slap just hit a few notes to see if it sounds right or not.
  9. It differs from time to time for me, but a couple things I usually end up playing are:
    Some of the songs I know (or the PARTS of songs that I know. :p)
    That one instrumental song that I've written with the main drummer/guitarist
    Some little thing I'll make up on the spot

And, on the rare occasion that I DO try out a guitar, I'll usually just play The World I Know, because it's the only FULL song I can play on the guitar. :p

10. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Do you remember the "No Starway" board in the music store in "Wayne's World 1" ... Loved it :)

To anwser the original question : yes, I do slap (shame on me), not to impress anyone, because I can't (except a total newbie) but because slapping can reveal how comfortable is the bass to me.
    And I play a few scales (for the same reason), than a few songs of my band.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just play some riffs of my own, then I DO slap, a little, just to test slap ability, not to impress people. Most of the time, it's a a jazz/rock thingie to test out the bass. Then play slow stuff, then fast, then Orion (Metallica) Just for laughs.
  12. Hmmmm.

I play everything I know, pretty much. Lots of scales (as mentioned, to check for dead spots). I like to lay down a groove, close my eyes, and kind of feel the bass. Then I plug it in. To the worst amp in the joint. Then I play all that stuff again. Then I fine a mid-range amp, and play it all again. Then I find the best amp in the place, and play it all again. Sometimes I come back a few days later and do it all again.

If I come back a third time to try that bass, I bring a set of strings (I am a diehard flatwound freak) with me, have them restring the bass, set the bass up, and do it all again, except I usually plug into the amp that most matches mine (Yorkville 50).

Usually I buy the bass at this point. Or ask them to order the same bass fretless for me to try and go through the whole process again.

Of course, my MIM fretless jazz, I played and bought on the spot. I already knew it was perfect. Sometimes you can just tell. Maybe not the "best" bass out there, but it sure was right for me. Wait....maybe it is the best bass.

13. alack

Nov 20, 2000
    A blues in G and some 60's style R&B grooves like Mr. Pitiful, Midnight Mover and Funky Broadway. A bebop head such as Donna Lee is a good idea as are some chordal passages. All of this just leads me to the Fenders.
  14. dont see what you guys got against slap, i love it so i try it out, i do a lot of slap at home now, so why not at the store??? if i'm gonna buy it, its gotta do what i want!! then i play mostly stuff i make up, cause i dont know many other pleoples songs!
  15. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    I usually go into my local music store once or twice a month, look at the vast quantities of guitar amps they have, available in all price ranges. Then I go look at the one bass amp they have, an Ampeg full stack with a $3,000+ price tag . . . I then promptly exit the store, go home, have a good cry, and wonder what it was I did to deserve getting stuck in this jerkwater town. :( **sigh**
  16. i know how you feel, but we have a fairly new store here now that has various price rangedGallien Kreuger's nioce!!
  17. i will always, without fail, play "soul to squeeze" by the chili peppers, because it's all over the fretboard, a comprehensive test. also "koka kola" by the clash. and i do a slap lick or two, because if a bass doesn't feel right when i slap it, i can't buy it, even though i hardly ever slap. usually it'll be some slap lick i invented myself.
  18. Nothing against slap just that for most music it's not applicable to use it and I can't stand it when some little kid gets in there slaps his as* off and then try's a simple riff and gets loads of fret buzz. This happened the other day when I was trying out new cabs and better still then his mate grabbed a guitar and tuned it down like a rubber band and started playing some mess of distortion while he tried to played along. Oh and I'm not the best at slap either maybe that's why I don't do it much.
  19. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    you left out Pearl Jams "Jeremy". I swear I hear that every time.

I usually play a few obscire thin lizzy songs that most people wouldn't know...or just do some basic iron maiden progression.

I don't show off because I can't. :D
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I might slap for a minute or so, just to see if the bass has a decent slap tone.

But I will spend a lot more time playing scales up the neck, in several positions, looking for dead spots.

Do a little tapping, that is a good way to check the action and look for high spots, loose(dead) frets, etc.

Finish up with a couple of originals to see how the bass works for my music.