Bass store in Ann Arbor?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mushjoon, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mushjoon

mushjoon

Oct 9, 2011
    All I know is that there is only 1 musical instrument store in Ann Arbor, MI: Herb David Guitar Studio...

Are there any musical instrument store near Ann Arbor? :bassist:

If there is, I need to know how to get there by public transportation, since I'm an university student who cannot afford a car. :meh:

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    There's a Music Go Round. Google Maps can find you the best route.

3. my geography of MI is a bit foggy but if you can get to Lansing there's the justly famous Elderly Instruments. Check out their website :cool:

4. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I've been out of A2 for a number of years. Is Al Nalli Music still there? Was on Ashley at Liberty. When I was there it was either that or Herb David, and those are two totally different music worlds in those stores.

5. Herb David is pretty much the only thing right in town.

If you don't mind driving a little there is Music Go Round on the south side, Oz's on Packard near Morgan & Yorke, Fast Eddie's on Michigan in Ypsi, Dennis's Music in Depot Town, and various Guitar Centers throughout the greater Detroit suburbs.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Well worth the trip!

7. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    A2 is a great town. That university provided me a number of critical opportunities and preparation for my professional (and adult) life. Great choice. Work hard. Get your degree.

Lansing is that hour away, but the trip to Elderly is worth it.
    (Hint bribe a friend to take you, but spend real money for dinner) (wear green and white clothing it's more likely to get you a better deal)

Go Blue
    Bass wishes

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nalli's has been gone since the early '90's. Guitar Center(s) in Southfield or Canton are the only ones I can think of. Elderly is a haul in the opposite direction.

There may be something in Ypsi, or Plymouth. Odd that there isn't somethinf in-town considering A2 has its own music scene going.

Herb David does have a bit of electrics to show. They used to be exclusively acoustic stuff.

9. I love threads about places I know! I've lived in Plymouth-Canton area for most of my life (about 17 of my 20 years). I have a guitar strap from Herb David which is pretty cool.

Besides that, I can only think of Guitar Centers and the like (I frequent the one in Canton!)

However, I'm moving out West to Grand Rapids in January. Love Michigan!!

10. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
  11. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Inactive

Jul 26, 2011
    I miss Ann Arbor. Lived ther on and off for over 12 years. Go see my old band when you get a chance as they are still playing. Deep Space Six.

12. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
  13. Gotta like hearing from locals! Yay MI!

14. Check out Blue Fish Guitars in Plymouth. It's on Stasrkweather in the Old Village area. They have mostly acoustic stuff, but there are a few new basses and at least two interesting used ones. BlueFish Guitars

15. I used to see them all the time back in the mid 1990's when I was in college...

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If ever there was a time to travel from Ann Arbor to Lansing, this weekend is it (think college football)....

Anyway, head east from Ann Arbor on either I-94 or Ford Rd and you'll get to the Guitar Center on Ford Rd in Canton. About 20 - 25 miles east. Much closer than Lansing (@ 80 miles), but admittedly NOT the quality of choices you'd find at Elderly.

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Wow, tell an Ann Arbor guy (UofM) to head over to Lansing (Michigan State).....he might spontaneously combust!

18. Theres a Guitar Center in Canton, not far from AA

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    He could go wearing Ohio State colors and confuse EVERYBODY!

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    When I was on campus '91 - 93, they were a Warwick distributor. First place I'd ever played a Warwick.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021