Bass store people

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassPanther, Apr 30, 2002.

1. So I was in a guitar center a while back (a store notorious for their pushy sales people). and I was trying out some Ampeg bass heads. My equalizer knowledge is limited, admittedly, but after playing around with the graphic EQ a bit, I found a sound that I liked. It had a decent mid-range tone to it and had the bass boosted slightly to maintain the ballsy rumble that I love.
    So anyway I start playing for a bit when something distracts me (I think it was another person, I forget). When this @#%#$% salesguy walks up and goes, "here sir, let me adjust that for you" before I could say anything, he completely changes my EQ settings, grabs the bass I was using and begins playing something.
    The bass had great tone, nice and punchy...but then he hits the E sting...and I swear the damn thing squeeked!!!! He cut the balls off from my sound! No rumble, no nothing! I stared at the guy as he handed me the bass and walked away...I wanted to beat the hell out of him! I shut the head off and replaced the bass and walked away. I was so incredably annoyed.
    Now I've got nothing wrong if you prefer the type of tone that I depends on the music you play. But I play metal/hard rock...and I want that deep ballsy rumble.
    As a suggestion for all you sales people out there...if you going to mess with someone's sound, ask them what kind of sound they like first. Even better, don't touch their settings! Unless their settings are going to damage something serious...leave it alone. Or an even better solution, if someone isn't sure about the EQ of them what each one means. Don't dictate their sound.

One of a bassists pride's is in his/her sound. Whether it's unique or not, they got their sound to represent THEM...not what some salesperson thinks it should be.

If any of you have had such instances please tell me about them. I'm done with my rant of the day.
  2. This is the same reason I never try anything out at Brook Mays. I take one look at something, 3 or 4 salespeople jump me,

"Hello sir! Looking at this fine guitar today?!"

"Well, actually, it's a bass, but yeah."

"Bass, guitar. Whats the difference?!"

<In my mind, this is the part where I punch the guy.>

So the guy tries to impress me by reading stuff off the tag, and so I reach to get it and give it a little play, and I must have done something to anger this guy, because he's just staring at me, pissed out of his mind. So I begin to play, try a little slap out, and (this is where it gets funny, and references to another TB post, too) the guy stops being angry, and quickly asks me...

"Hey, can you play Seinfeld?"

GRRRRRR... :)
  3. What was it you were playing initially? I'm betting some form of rock?
  4. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I hate that!!
  5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    My local guitar center has it's share of bastard salesmen, but it also has 3 or 4 guys working there who are knowledgable and cool to talk to. I've made friends with em and get deals there all the time.. hehe..
  6. Our Mars has this crazy guy who works there. Knows a whole bunch when it comes to guitar, and he's one of the best players i've ever heard, but he's totally out of his mind. Cool guy. :)
  7. I have never heard of Bass Central, or Bass Northwest. Where are they located?
  8. Kick a$$, I'm originally from CT
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Joe, which Mars is that?
  10. I must admit my store of preference - Sound Control - has a pretty cool bass guy! I get pretty good deals from him, he's fairly knowledgable - and would never mess with your sound. He'll sort out an amp for you to try stuff through and leave you to it, or help you out if you ask him to. The store is mainly guitar - but when you go down to the bass-ment that's where the bass department is, along with PA ans the few drums they stock!

OH yeah, in the last Sound Control mag that I got sent through, he did an article - he went down to John Entwhistles house to interview him, play with his basses and get pissed! Lucky man!
  11. The one in Arlington near the Parks.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My guitarist lives about a mile from there, so on practice nights I stop in there quite often.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, I've had similar sh*t happen to me at the local supermarket near my house. The salesman is a guitarist that thinks he's cool cuz he can slap (I can slap too -- him -- right on the top of his guitar-selling head!). Anyway, there's a new store a few minutes away and I went there the other day to ask about a job in sales. The owner and I ended up talking for almost an hour (something I've never been able to do at any other store in my area and I told him so). Even though he has plenty of experience in the instrument sales biz (I guess he moved to Appleton from Milwaukee), I told him that if he wanted to really build a following and win customers away from the three other "big-name" stores in my area, he should focus on one thing -- service! Good, old-fashioned, mom-and-pop service.

We'll see what develops.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Lately, whenever i've been hearing "guitar center," i cringe.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Guitar Center. I get good deals. I don't talk to the sales people. Just managers. Learn it, live it.
  16. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I go into Next and buy some jeans, I take two pairs in the changing room, try em and buy one pair. Sorted. I normally wave at a sales person and say "trying two pairs" "ok sir"

Now what they dont do is look me up and down and say that I cannot afford them or am too old for trendy clothes or suggest that something not in stock is more suitable.

Buying music gear is the only time that I am assessed to see if I worthy of the gear or their time. I know more about music gear than most underpaid shop drones cos unlike them I am interested in music gear.

Shops I like

Bass Central-Beaver Gard Grasshopper, respect
    MAE in Fort Lauderdale-big up for Matt
    Coda in Stevenage or Luton
    The Gallery in Camden -Martin Petersen is the man
    The Bass Centre in Wapping
    Flying Pig for mail order
    Soundsgreat in Manchester-Rick is a great bloke

all the rest can kiss my spotty botty