1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass stores in Chicago IL. and Jacksonville FL?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ElBajista, May 2, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm looking for information about bass stores/etc. in Chicago IL. and Jacksonville FL.

I'll be going to Chicago soon to visit my brother and I'd like to know where I can go to try out basses and amps. I hope to visit the Lakland factory, but that's the only place on my mental list.

Also, I'll be moving to the Jacksonville area soon, and I'd like to know of any bass stores within the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As far as the Jax / St. Aug thing goes, the short answer is no.

There is a Guitar Center and a couple of George's Music stores all of which would'nt know a bass if you threw it through their window.

Don's Pawn in nearby Orange Park usually has some very cool vintage stuff. Primarily guitar related but he has a cool old Fender or SVT from time to time.

You'll be about 90 miles north of Bass Central however and once you get there, well, you'll never be right in the head again.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Darn.

I'm about 90 miles south now, but I have yet to come up with a good enough excuse to get myself there for a couple of hours one afternoon. I know I shouldn't go until I actually have money. Or maybe I should go because I don't have money.....:rolleyes:

Anyone have any suggestions for Chicago?

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For Chicago talk to Mark at the Bass Club. He's a South-Sider like me, so he's cool. ;) www.bassclubchicago.com

Also JP at Blueberry Hill Bass. Make an appointment with him and check out the stuff he has. He's a cool guy for a North Sider. :smug: www.blueberryhillbass.com

Between these two guys, you can check out some fine stuff in the Windy City. Both of those guys are also on TB.

As far as builders, there's Lakland, Elrick, Cort, and US Music. Thunderfunk and Peterson Tuners are there too. I met a bunch of these folks at NAMM, and they were way cool.

There's also the Chicago Music Exchange for vintage stuff. I also like Make N' Music, as I've been going to them since I was a kid back when they were on Milwaukee Avenue.

5. What is Blue Berryhill Bass? Never heard of it before? Is it a store? I didn't see an address on the site

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Not quite a "store" in the traditional sense. He's JPJ on Talkbass, and Jay runs a little bass biz. You need to make an appointment with him (usually on weekends) to check out his stuff.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think Blueberry Hill Bass is in Buffalo Grove...

Other Chicago area high points would be the Luthier's Access Group. Dan has some COOL stuff!!! He's "out south" as they say.

Not necessarily bass-only but Midwest Buy & Sell on Irving Park Rd at Austin (south side of the street just west of Austin) is fun if you're into seeing a lot (small store packed to the gills) with instruments and amps...

The Highland Park Guitar Center has two used Schaak (sp?) basses in stock...a 5 and a 6. They're $2400 each IIRC.

It's been a while, but the GC on Cicero had some very nice used high-end basses last time I was in there.

There are a couple Music Go Round stores in the area too...Milwaukee Ave just north of North Ave and out in Orland Park. Always fun to see what kind of beat up old stuff they have.

Do visit Lakland if you have a chance, Dan and Carl (Karl?) are very nice guys!

Axe in Hand now has a store in Schaumburg...they're a well known vintage dealer.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Chicago music Exchange moved at the end of last year. They are now on Lincoln, just north of Belmont. If you like vintage gear you should definately check them out.

Their new store is absolutely beautiful, like a museum for vintage guitars and they have more vintage basses than I have ever seen in my life, including some of the really rare stuff. (last time I was there I finally got a chance to play a Guild Starfire with Hagstrom bipole pickups) No bargains whatsoever, but definately worth the trip from an historical point of view.

Oh yeah, in the back of the acoustic room, in the far right corner there is a small room that looks like a clost, but it's actually part of the sales floor, with a couple of upright basses and a few vintage oddites including a real '30's Gibson mandobass!

Midwest buy-and-sell is also alot fun, though kind of hit or miss.

9. +1

getting ready to purchase my 3rd bass from Dan. He's good people!

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Wow, that's cool. I used to go there all the time when I went to NIU. Glad to see that they've grown.

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Jive! Thanks for the props. :smug: Even though you might be a "south-sider"...I'm originally a REAL south-sider. Try 320 miles straight south on I-57! :D Trust me, there aren't many fellow St. Louis Cardinals fans living on the N/NW side. ;)

And Billy Z from Lake Zurich is correct, I'm located in Buffalo Grove. As for the stores in the Chicagoland area, I think that the majority of the quality ones have been covered so far...Blueberry Hill, Luthier's Access Group, Make-N-Music, Bass Club, Chicago Guitar Exchange, and a dozen GCs. That just about covers it.

12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You're not a South-Sider, you're a hick! :D

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    HA! :D

Not exactly, but you can rest assured that I've certainly been called a lot worse. :p

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Don't forget Sam Ash too... The Buffalo Grove store's bass corner is kind of sad through... They do have a used Aggie tube power amp that has been sitting there forever...

15. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I did a mapquest search based on their address...... :eek: THAT'S 3 MILES FROM MY BROTHER'S HOUSE!!! How long has that been there? I never knew about it, and no one up there mentioned a word about it. :mad:

I'll definitely check that out next time I'm there. :D

Got it. Doing a mapquest search now.

check, check, check, and check. Those might be on the "hitlist" as well.

Great suggestions! Thanks a bunch!!

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Is there a website for this Group? What exactly is it?

Wrote those down too. :D

I've been there too. They had some pretty interesting vintage Fenders, and quite a few Laklands for some reason. :rolleyes: I'll definitely be going there again.

I don't know what to do with all of these suggestions! I wasn't expecting such great responses. Thanks!!

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Luthier's Access Group...

http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/home.html

Thunderfunk is in Vernon Hills, Cort's distributor Westheimer is in Northbrook, IL...in a non-descript industrial park office that I drive by two times a day...I keep waiting for a big sign that says "Warehouse Sale Today" like half of the other businesses there. US Music is in Mundelein. Don't know if they have tours or anything but they have a lot of instruments in display cases in the lobby.

Oh...Bass Club Chicago is pretty new...and has limited hours from what I recall.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Are any of these places CTA Accessible? If they are, i need to hit them up BEFORE i go back to Lafayette. If not, well-imma be back up here 1-2Xs a month for lessons over the summer [still primarily downtown]. :)

19. I was thinkin' the same thing, I too am Transit Authority dependent. :smug: But some of this sounds like it would be worth the hassle!!

Downtown lessons? You wouldn't happen to be another of Bill Harrison's students, would you? I figure a FEW of his ought to be wandering TB somewhere...:D