Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass stores in New York

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mangeswe, Sep 28, 2005.

1. mangeswe

mangeswe

Feb 24, 2004
    Ystad, Sweden
    Hi.
    I´m searching for a new baby that can follow me on my gigs. Here in sweden were i live it´s kind of hard to find what i want. In january i´m going to New York for a week so i was thinking about bring the money and find a good bass there. But i have never been in New York (or Usa) so i would need some help. Any tips on some good bass store or something near manhattan or something?
    thanx

2. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Hi fellow bassist. I'm from outside södertälje(dont mind that info if you're not swedish) and i was in NYC this summer. The paper DN actually published an article about where to look for good musicstores in the big apple, a month or so before i went there, so i wrote down those adresses and went to the stores. First of all, if you have only been to swedish musicstores, you're gonna get soooooooooooooooo happy the moment you step into those stores. And secondly, read about lots of basses before you get there, and be sure of a couple or more models that you wanna try out. So you can be more effective... umm... I'll give you the adresses as soon as i find the article. it's lying around somewhere..
    /M

3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Rudys Bass Shop
    169 west 48th st NYC

Sam Ash
    163 West 48th st NYC

Guitar Canter
    25 west 14th st NYC

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I was in NY a few weeks ago and visited Sam Ash and Manny's which are literally across the street from one another in Manhattan (West 48th street I think). Manny's had the larger selection if I remember correctly. Staff were helpful in both stores.

5. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    You also try the NYC Bass Boutique and a short trip into Brooklyn to the Sadowsky shop. You can check the websites and email for current stock

6. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you can get outside the city, I've heard very good things about New Jersey Guitar and Bass, in Edison, New Jersey, which is not too far from NYC:

http://members.aol.com/njgtrbass/

They ship worldwide. It might be worth checking them out on this basis alone...I doubt you'll get Guitar Center or Sam Ash to ship your purchase back to Sweden for you.

Chances are you won't have a car...it is possible to get there by train, using NJ Transit.

http://www.njtransit.com/index.jsp

According to the NJ Transit website trip planner (which gives you door-to-door directions if you put in an address), you catch a train at Penn Station in Manhattan. The ride is 45 minutes, then there's a five minute bus ride and a short walk.

Also, you didn't say what kind of price range you're looking at, but one of the well regarded boutique builders, Sadowsky, http://www.sadowsky.com is in NYC (Brooklyn, near the foot of the Manhattan Bridge). I'm pretty sure there are other builders as well, but I don't recall who. If you've got the money for a Sadowsky, it's definitely worth checking them out.

IIRC Sam Ash bought Manny's a while ago, so it's essentially the same store.

One thing about Sam Ash and Guitar Center: if all you're used to is small, poorly stocked music stores, your eyes will pop out of your head. BUT, these stores make their money by pumping stuff out the door. It's generally not a relaxed, laid-back environment.

Also, at the big stores like GC you'll often find poor setups, instruments that are chipped or dinged being sold as brand new, etc. Worth checking out...but just be aware of what you're getting into.

7. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    The New Jersey Guitar and Bass shop is an excellent shop - well stocked with new and used basses which have very good setups - purchased a Lakland there a few months back - It is definely worth the trip.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    www.bassboutique.com - carries aguilar, suhr, etc.
    www.rudysmusic.com - carries bergantino, aguilar, MTD, lakland, modulus, etc.
    www.30thstreetguitars.com - mostly pawnshop prizes, but some nice vintage gear
    www.chelseaguitars.com - dan's THE man when it comes to vintage pieces. going to his store, you're likely to run into jack white or tom waits or jakob dylan.

and there's a new guitar center on 14th st. btwn 5th & 6th ave. nice stock of vintage gear, too, tho i'd much rather go to Dan's.

and yes, all these shops are on the island. ;)

9. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Also look up the guys at the Groove Shoppe.

Don't know what kind of bass you're looking for or how much you'd like to spend, but they've got some NICE stuff :bassist:

10. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Checkout Guitar Man for a nice selection of G&Ls

GuitarMan

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cut out all the crap and go to Brooklyn and visit Sadowsky

Rob

12. West 48th is lined with lots of great shops. Take the DQF train up to that general area. The one eyed Sabrett's vendor on the corner is not to be trifled with...................

13. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    if your willing to spend loads of cash, visit Rudy's
    if your on a realistic budget, check out Manny's and Sam Ash, also go down to the 14th street Guitar Center, they usually have some sweet used stuff for sale

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

15. Man, I remember years ago before all this wonderful internet stuff, that trip to West 48th street was the total bomb... dozens of Fodera's, Smiths... all the cool stuff. I'm sure that trip is still worth a visit.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    How about JoeyG music? http://www.joeygmusic.com/

I hear the folks there are really nice and that if you call them in advance, they'll hook you up.

17. I think the guys in Rudy's are prudes. I've gone in there twice and they are very stict when it comes to handling the basses. And thet watch you like a hawk at that. You cant really get in the groove cause they'll be the guy just sitting there looking all annoyed and waiting for you to stop playing. This is only in my experience though. I think Im gonna head there over to 48th tommorow after school, To see if the have any 7 strings hanging around. They sometimes have Ritters in stock, Which sound like sex, really nice basses they are.

if you do go to Rudy's, Make sure its your last stop for the day, You may leave unhappy, And you wont want to be pissed off going into guitar center or something, dealing with those idiots... I swear, Theres only like, 1 guy who really knows about the basses. (His names Ron btw, bald black guy, cool dude)

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    My experience there has been similiar, not a very friendly or helpful bunch and I'm sure that helps them to sell a lot of product. RIIIIIIIIGHT!

19. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Caution advised on this shop. If you want to be sure, e-mail the luthier's directly to confirm the validity of this dealership before proceeding.