Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Stores in Phily?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret Boiler, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    I am in Philadelphia for a couple of days, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of decent Bass stores in the downtown area?

Thanks

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    None really. The best bass shop in the area is rather far out in the country and it's not a dedicated bass shop but they do have width in their inventory.

pm me if you want the name; i don't do free advertising.

3. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    There are a few stores depending on how much traveling you want to do.
    There is
    8th Street Music on 10th and Arch
    Di Pinto's at 631 North Second Street
    Bluebond at 511 South 4 Street
    and one of my favorites is Cintiolis at 5349 Oxford Ave.

Those are ones I have either been in or bought stuff. There are a million more, so you may have to search a bit. Defintiely enough temptation with those stores alone. Have fun.
    Landon

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I personally think you're wasting your time with the above with the exception of Cintioli.

unless you like junk.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I once tried a Bluebond Custom Six up at the Bass Palace. Very heavy but loaded with tone.

6. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Thanks guys, I'll check these out since I have the time.

Regards

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

What's up with Bluebond? I wasn't aware that they were still in business after Dale passed. Is it a music store?

8. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Every now and then those stores get something in that gets the drool going, but most of the time it is the run of the mill gear. I like the used rack stuff myself looking for that one item I regret selling, etc.. If you want to kill some time any of them will work. If you are seriously shopping for something I back Don with Cintioli's. A friend of mine works there, I think he still does, but I have not talked to him him in sometime. Awesome guys to deal with.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    just a thought...you might give Ken Smith a call, see if he has time for you to come by his workshop. i havent done it yet, but would like to soon.

I think he is probably an hour outside of Philly, but dont know the details as i dont live up that way.

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Medley Music in Bryn Mawr usually has some high-end stuff in stock - I've seen Rick Turners, Sukops, Alembics, and Lakland. They usually only have a few of these; most of their inventory is Fenders & Peaveys with some EBMM's and Warwicks. It's about 25 minutes' drive from downtown Philly, or you can take the R5 regional rail line from Center City. No affiliation, nor have I ever bought a bass there.

11. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
  12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, it's still open as a store. I haven't been by there in a few years so can't comment on it's inventory...I still keep an eye out for Bluebond basses as the last ones I played about 10 years ago were outstanding.

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you go to Cintioli's, ask for Benny the owner. Then ask him if he wants to go camping... I guarantee you'll get a laugh.

14. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ahhh, Medley Music. Great store and some very nice gear. I cannot go in there anymore, since temptation is so high and funds are so low. If anyone gets the chance definitely check out Ken Smith's factory. He is an extremely nice guy and spent hours explaining everything to me. Absoloutely amazing to see the work being done in, what seems a relatively unassuming shop. I drove past it twice thinking I had missed it. It is a hike to Perkasie, but well worth it. He is one hell of an upright player, and the stories he has to tell. Anyone thought about a PA/NJ/DE (mid-atlantic) meet? I did not realize so many guys are around the area.

15. lwleaver

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Do you know him? I only met him once, so I do not know if it was the enchantment of meeting a real luthier for the first time. Sounds like a good story on the horizon.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Too many times !

17. Yup ! :D

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm just taunting Ken, hoping he'll check in. you really should get to his shop- it is one of the true mecca's.

19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I thought that ever since ebay started selling a musical instrument every 30 seconds, there are no more good second-hand music shops in business, let alone bass ones. :confused:

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That is mostly true.