1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass strap height

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yaniv, Dec 20, 2006.

1. high

53 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. low

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. something between

63 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    i dont know if this question is related to technique,so i put it here

do you like to hold your bass low or high? (on standing position)
    i like it quite high,feels more comfortable for the fretting hand

2. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    oh yeah,also post what is your playing style and if you use fingers or pick (i use fingers mostly and i play metal)

3. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Should be at a height you can do any style from. I use what I heard awhile back, adjust my strap so bass is same position sitting or standing. Since most practice sitting that is what your getting used to. Works for me only thing I do when playing is to pull neck down a bit when I go to slap.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to wear my bass pretty low, but the pull on my shoulder became unbearable, so I raised it really high. It worked out for a half hour but started to pull on my shoulder, so now I've got something in between and I'm hoping that will work out. If it doesn't, I'm going to totally switch over to my Turser Beatle bass, which never hurts my shoulder no matter how low or high I wear it.

5. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    The bottom of the bass covers my crotch. Like a loincloth. But manlier because it's a bass.

6. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    low low low... Steve Clarke Def leppard low... I have two straps lashed together....

Not that I like Def Leppard....

7. i think its best to have it at the same height as where you sit, at least if you practice sitting, which most people do...otherwise i think its lame because your probably just going for "the look"

8. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I think there's no shame in trying to achieve both...

9. Oza

Oza

Dec 19, 2006
    a little higher then sitting position suits me best

10. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Medium low. Prob a 3 1/2 to 4 on a scale of 1 - 5

I like my pickups to get the signal straight from my groin cuz dats where de funk comes from.

No, I haven't a name for my strap

11. no shame maybe, but if its not in the same position as when you are sitting, then you are certainly NOT achieving both...and that is where the shame would come in.

12. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    i do fingerstyle/slap/tap and i usually keep my strap height from around a high to a medium height. I'm not too picky about it though.

13. I try to keep mine fairly high, as I can get the best playability there. I do lower it a little from sitting position, because I've found that it's a little easier on my left hand (in terms of reach)

~K

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Medium-ish, with it just skimming my lap when sitting, so that sitting and standing position is similar.

JimmyM - what kind of strap are you using? What's the width of the strap?

15. gkbass13

gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i where mine fairly high, i feel it gives me more control over the instrument....check the picture to see. i use all different techniques but no picks....il use two finngers or my thumb to emulate oen from tiem to time though.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I used to wear it quite high - 'cause it makes playing fast, complex material so much easier...

These days I wear it more medium height to medium-high - 'cause it just feels more relaxed and comfortable for the stye of material I've been playing more recently. I think it really does relate to the style of music you play. I could never wear the bass super low. It would be so hard to play, and would just feel so unnatural...

MM

17. yaniv

yaniv

Oct 26, 2006
    JimmyM,you said a few times that you get hand pain if you are trying to pick in a diffrent way than carol kye's
    if you hold your bass\guitar too low you get hand pain when trying to pick

18. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Like the height in my avatar.

19. I tried the other day using my bass strap super low after playing quite high for several years. It felt really weird, and slightly uncomfortable. Wondered how on earth did I play like that before. But I admit... I think wearing it low does look more cooler than high.