1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass straps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lukeevans, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Lukeevans

Lukeevans

Jun 3, 2014
    Hey guys, im kinda new to all this forum stuff, but i thought id give it a go, im fairly new to actually playing a bass guitar, but it has been a passion for many months now, i was just wondering if any of you guys knew what type of strap this was?

Thanks in advance!

image.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It looks like a Neotech. They make wider ones that are more appropriate for heavy basses.

Lukeevans likes this.
  3. Lukeevans

Lukeevans

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks for such a quick reply! Yeah, I want to go for more of a wider, more supportive strap! Thanks!

4. Lukeevans

Lukeevans

Jun 3, 2014
    Thats exactly what I was thinking! Thanks elgecko!

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I use the Mega and can't recommend it enough!

Lukeevans likes this.
  6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Any quality leather strap 3" to 4" is good. It should be strong, flexible, and soft. I don't use one strap, each bass has its own. My primary bass strap I've had so long I don't remember when or where I bought it. I think it was about 1975. One feature I like is it has a snap on the strap near the tail piece. It came with a leather loop that wraps around the cord and attaches to the snap on the strap. This prevents busted jacks. For the others, I just loop it between the bass and strap like everyone else does.

Lukeevans likes this.
  7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    If you do go for the Neotech be sure you get the strap that is the right length. I have seen posts here where the poster got the wrong length (too short) by mistake. Having said that, they are great straps. I would recommend a minimum of 3" in width.

Lukeevans likes this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I don't care for wide straps as they always feel like they are riding up on my neck. If I move them far enough out to avoid that, they feel like they are about to slip off my shoulder. Anything over a couple inches wide is more trouble than it's worth to me.

9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    To each their own. I suppose it depends on the weight of the bass. However, the wider the strap the better the weight is distributed, thus leading to less shoulder problems. I have a 3.5"" strap and dont experience the trouble you mention.

10. My entire band actually uses the Levi's straps. They are maybe 3-4 inches wide over the shoulder. They feel stiff at first and kinda grab your shirt but break in over time. I've bought two of them myself, one was stolen at a gig and the other I've been using for several years.

11. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    Comfort straps are great but do have a little bit of bounce in them!

12. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    Not that much of a neoprene fan myself, & I own both a "Comfort" & Sadowsky type.

What works for me- YMMV- is a soft i.e. glove leather; padded, 3-3.5" Wide, in my case 43" keyhole-keyhole. Designs vary; here's a great example of one of mine, made for me by a SaddleMaker in TX. Those boys know leather: doublejzebra.

13. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I bought a used Neotech strap that was in great condition for $10. It was $10 too much. The neoprene was slippery and so my neck was always diving, AND it was so freakin' hot that I sweat like crazy under that strap.

I'm a huge fan of Levy's padded leather straps.

14. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    me happy with my Fender neopren. very comfy.
    Also love my old Fender de luxe leather strap too.

15. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    The problem with neoprene and other such materials is that they MAY be prone to stretching- I said MAY- Also I'm not a fan of the tabs
    on the comfort strap; they are a somewhat thin gauge. Having said that, mine have served me well, I just prefer leathers, they last...forever.
    bass_guitar_strap_96.