Bass Straps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by obot, Feb 2, 2005.

1. obot

Jan 19, 2005
    I was looking for a new bass strap. Has anyone ever bought from Moody leather? I looked at their site Bass Straps and they seem to have pretty cool bass straps.
  2. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Think this is in the wrong forum, but since I'm using one at the moment... :D

I've got a 4" strap from Moody and it's a really good. The quality of the leather is great and it's super comfortable. Thing is, I got it before the company split into 2 - there's another company called Italia Straps which sells essentially the same thing (in fact, they claim to be the original Moody stuff).
    I'm not too clear about how the quality of their straps have changed since then.
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I drove out into the country and found a Tack shop. They specialize in horse leathers, saddles and bridals and stuff.
    $20 I had them make me a 1 of a kind strap that is made from real leather, the thick stuff, I had them stamp it for me with my name, he burnished it to make it look cool and they made it in a couple of days. $20.. I have 2 now. One regular tan and a black one.
  4. You could also go to the Alembic Forum accessable from the Alembic home page. If you search you will find some threads on Moody straps that clarify the two companies and the quality issue.
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    moody straps are awesome

i have one on my rob allen, and soon to have one on my f bass
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    omgoodness are they 87-135$ awesome? :eek: the day I pay 87 bux (US) for a strap it better be crusted with platinum & ice and massage my back / shoulders while I'm playing...
  7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Amen to that Brother :eyebrow:
  8. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    The thread can be found here
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Moody straps are the best I've ever tried. If $90 is too much for you to spend on one then don't buy it. If $90 is not an issue then it is money well spent
  10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

whatever, do what u want

but lets get serious, if you have a wicked nice boutique bass with a crappy levy's strrap, well thats just hurtin

you think, if u can anti up for a 5 thousand dolla bas, you can atleast put 100 into a nice looking, comfy strap to set it off

none of this nylon ****
  11. man, I bought a fantastic strap, all leather, wide as hell, padded, perfectly made for about 35 Aussie$ at the GuitarFactory in Sydney.

Im set for life with that one... I think more than that is only for people that can afford to throw money away... but considering what you said about the 5000 USD bass, I gotta say, damn you "bastards" out-budget me :eek: ;)
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I hang wicked boutique basses on my shoulder with cheapo 2" black nylon straps. :bag:
  13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  14. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
  15. I hang wicked non-boutique basses from my shoulder with a $5 nylon strap made by Ernie Ball. Whatever keeps gravity in check...
  16. Check out Comfort Strapp:

Phenonemally comfortable, they will redistribute the weight of your heavier basses.

17. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Wow, some of those prices are crazy. Maybe I will have to go into business :) I'm making my own strap. However I had 10 years of leathercraft in 4-H.
  18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You know I have my Modulus strapped in with a strap I had personnaly made at a Tach shop in the country. $20. I have another one that I have been using for 8 years now and is showing no sign of wear at all. I was using that one when I was playing 6 nights a week :hyper:
  19. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    +1 on the comfort strap.
    They are great Jay, and about $45.
    Levis also makes one that I like that is called(believe it or not) a Hemp strap.Leather ends and a double wool like material(hemp?) in the middle.Soft, very lightweight and comfortable at about $24. I'm sure the jokes will fly with that.
  20. I'll second that. I have seven of them. I just keep them on my basses all the time. They have a built-in locking system. They're the best!

- Dave