1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Straps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DEFUNKTED, May 6, 2006.

1. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    What is your favorite leather bass strap?

Any recommendations for quality online sources, brands etc...

Thanks!

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    okay, I'm never dogmatic about gear because tone is subjective.

But there is a definitive here. Moody straps are the best period. Anyone that doesn't agree is either:
    * wrong.
    * hasn't tried one.

There, I did. That felt good.;)

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    The best one I found was one at the dead LA Bass Shop - I bought one but would certainly like to find another. It was made by a saddle maker and is really nice ergonomically. I shoulda bought two! :crying::crying::crying::crying:

Dan K.

4. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
  5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Moody's are very high-quality, but I'm not sure they're worth the price. You can get a leather strap that's not quite as supple, but adequate, for half the money. That doesn't mean I don't find myself fondling the Moody once in a while. . . ;)

6. Yamaha makes a very nice leather, padded, 4 inch wide black strap that retails for about 30 bucks shipped.

Jay

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i need a new strap... my Carvin is starting to wear out my shoulder.

8. DEFUNKTED

DEFUNKTED

May 4, 2006
    Dope City
    Damn, just checked out the Moody site and those straps are very nice indeed...

Would like to get the 2.5 inch one with the star but they're definitely a bit pricey....

Thanks for the tip!

9. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I bought the 4"" black with gold bass-clef Moody that is listed in the Talkbass Store a while back. It's worth what I paid and more.

10. Not leather, but I have much love for Neotech straps.

11. RIMG1242.
    my favourite strap..aussie made, colonial leather i think it was, $35aus

12. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    The most comfy strap I have ever used has been the Ken Smith Straps ... not sure if they are real leather or not but they are definitely my favorite at this point
    - Tom

13. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I was a bit hesitant to dump that much cash on a strap, but I had a bit of extra cash at the time, and decided what the hell... I'll give'em a shot... so I took the plunge on a Moody.

I wasn't disappointed, and at no point have I regretted spending the $$$. It's a great strap.
    ---
    c

14. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I use a Warrior strap on my Warrior bass. I think Levys makes it. Very nice. I use a stock Levys on my EBMM and a Franklin strap on my Alembic. I like a wide leather strap that is non-adustable (that way, no punk I let play it can disgrace my basses by slinging them low:). I use straplocks too, so I just pick the right height and leave it.

15. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I use those cheap 2" wide nylon straps.I think mine say "Doctor Song".
    Maybe 8 bucks.

16. I'm pretty partial to my two straps

one is a levi strap that cost me 30 bucks. Good, but not a lot of padding, so on long gigs my shoulder gets pretty sore

the other is this cheap fake leather strap I bought for 20 bucks (if that much). Tons of padding, and comfortable as hell. After I saw how well this one worked I gave up on spending 30 bucks on straps.

My advice is go to a shop, find the heaviest bass in there, then try all the straps out and see which one feels like you could bare wearing it for hours at a time. thats the one you buy

17. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I purchased one of these when I got my 6'er.

Italia straps

Nice, very high quality strap. The prices he offers on the website are a bit higher than what you can usually find them for on Ebay (directly from the shop, I may add). The trade off is $ for a few weeks in turn around time. If your not in a rush, go the Ebay route, but be patient, the order/build times are as quoted.

Shawn

18. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    another vote for moody! love mine- VERY well made, you'll never need another strap; worth every penny imho!

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Also not a leather strap, but I have been using the Comfort Strapp and they are comfy.

http://comfortstrapp.com/

I think they run about $30.

20. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    +1 on the Moody strap. I have two and they are simply the best, hands down. Soft, supple and very comfortable. I also have an Italia, and while its a nice strap it doesn't hold a candle to the Moody, IMO.