Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass String Cleaning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by djproject, Oct 26, 2000.

1. What is the best way to clean your bass strings (Ibanez SR400 is what I own so that could be a factor in determining material)?

Derek J. Power

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to "strings"

Will C.:cool:

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I usually give mine a good wiping with 90% rubbing alchohol. It doesn't matter what kind of bass you have.

4. I use Old Spice- It smells Better! ;)

5. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
  6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I use GHS Fast Fret and Dunlop string cleaner & conditioner both products seem to work well.

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey, I was just wondering if there is a way to clean your strings without getting string cleaner. Maybe boiling them or something like that. Thanks

8. I use white methylated spirits. It MUST be white (clear), not the purple stuff, which leaves a residue. It is very cheap from a chemist shop (I guess that's a drugstore in USA). Slacken the string, tip a bit on a clean rag, and pull the string through your first finger and thumb. Try not to get any on you fingerboard, if possible.

9. Hey Mate, over here it's called rubbing alcohol, and costs about .75 a bottle. Cheapest alternative to Fast Fret.

10. I use Fast Fret too, to keep the strings bright during a gig or recording. when they get dead (usually after every gig) I take them off the bass and leave them in white spirit ("turpentine substitute") overnight to loosen soaked in sweat and dirt, and then boil them (in water, of course).
    after about 6 months of using the same roundwounds this way they don't change much after boiling, or the windings at the ends start falling apart, so it's time for new strings.

[Edited by The Mock Turtle Regulator on 10-29-2000 at 08:34 AM]

11. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    I've used rubbing alcohol before to get the crud out of the string windings... Fast Fret works decent, but it's effectiveness seems to depend on the brand of strings (and their particular combination of alloys...)

The best thing that I've found is to wash your hands 5 minutes before you play. The 5 minutes is to let enough of the oils return to keep you from shredding your callouses so much.

Good thread!

Best Wishes

12. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Good point, Dave S.

I found this out a while back. I try to make it a point to wash my hands before every set. Although, I don't wait for the 5 minute thing. Never thought of it, I guess.

I carry a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and a clean rag in my guitar case. After every set I wipe down the strings with the rag and alcohol. It has really helped to keep my strings lasting longer. I wouldn't suggest doing this before you play because it will change the temperature of the strings and knock them out of tune, temporarily.

13. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    simple and easy, boil them for a bit, it cleans the dirt out and makes them nice and shinny to!! just make sure to wipe them off really good! we dont want rust now do we!

14. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Search this forum for "boil". We talked about this quite a bit around 8 or 10 months ago.

15. I wipe down my strings after every gig with a yellow duster. I don't use anything else. when they get unbearable (after about 18 months...I use flats) I just buy a new set.

16. tom rogers

tom rogers

Jan 2, 2009
    boil your strings (dont)

17. medawc

medawc

Aug 20, 2008
    Wroclaw, Poland
    I use acetone to clean strings. When they sound i take them off the bass and put into the jar with acetone for about a day. Usually I string the bass with another set during this time. Works great.

18. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I use two kinds of alcohol whe cleaning my strings. Rubbing alcohol for the bass strings and rum for me.....
    :D

Seriously, never play without washing your hands first. Then I use rubbing alcohol and a clean bit of cloth. And old cotton washcloth works fine. Slack up the string and rub the length of the string. Tighten back up and do the next. Then re tune and tour off!

I also have some alcohol wipes from the pahrmacy (chemist) like people use for giving themselves shots. Great in a pinch! (no pun intended)

And I agree, about the time I think the strings are done for, I buy a new set. I don't use 50 dollar strings and I use mostly flats which almost never go bad....so replacement is an affordable option.

19. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I did that once, way back in the day. With all the time you spend mucking about the kitchen it's a damn shot more affordable to buy a new set!

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Slight bump there.:D