1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass String Installation Hall Of Fame!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DanAdams, Nov 24, 2018.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I know we've all seen some bad ones, but this one REALLY caught my eye today
    Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 3.12.55 PM.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Seems fitting. The rest of the instrument looks well cared for, why bother to string it up properly.

McG likes this.
  3. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    my bet... Someone cut the wrong string too short and needed to cross over the strings because they didn't have another set.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I hate to admit it but I can't be bothered with restringing my bass .. I have Sam Ash do it for me..

Bobro, Mike N and McG like this.
  5. But it cuts both ways:

1) When I worked in music stores, more often that not a guy would bring his new guitar back, having played it long enough to where he installed (!) new strings, complaining, 'I paid all this money for this #^@&$@*^, and it will NOT play/stay in tune !'. Whereupon, after a cursory exam, the strings around the posts looked as if they'd been installed by someone doing meth and ludes at the same time. Too few wraps, way too many, didn't trim the ends to length and made those cute butterflies, you name it. I'd install their preferred set on our nickel, double check the saddle/string lengths, and like magic, it settled right down. 'Now, WHAT did you do?'

2) On the other end of this sort of thing, I found a really nice BB5000AIII in a pawn shop for a reasonable price, really. Remembering the screwing I'd often taken, I pointed out that this thing was slipping tune constantly. Really. You could tune it, hit even an open string, and it would sound just as it you were slowing bending a tremelo bar towards the body, the note would just slide down, all five strings. I instantly realized that the previous owner had trimmed the ends, made half a loop around the post, and stuck the end of the string in that hole between the two halves of the key head. They didn't, amazingly. So I said I'd buy it, but I'd have to take it downtown to a repair shop to get that fixed. They took 300 bucks off, I paid them on the spot, and didn't laugh like a hyena until I was several blocks away. I took it home, re-strung it properly with my usual set, and it played perfectly ever after, just as I knew it would.

It's amazing to me that by far the great majority of the time, tuning problems are always dead strings, improper stringing, or some missing adjustment in the bridge or bogus nut work, but mostly bad string installation.

BritFunk, Bobro, mikewalker and 3 others like this.
  6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    What? I thought a bass only ever needed one set of strings. They get better with age.

RSBBass and Bobro like this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Not everyone here is old enough to know that’s how you string for a brass nut.

Bobro likes this.
  8. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    Those Westones are a classic!!
    I still have my white Dimension IV with the red lightning bolt graphic in a place of honor on the wall of my "Guitarsenal"

DanAdams likes this.
  9. lowtom, DanAdams and Mr_Moo like this.
  10. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    facial_twitch.

lowtom and ArthurNemko like this.
  11. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    WOW. Gold star two-fer! That "Fender" also belongs in the DECAL HALL OF FAME.
    As for the Starfire, that is all too common when guitarists get involved.

ArthurNemko likes this.