Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass string mutes mechanism

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marqj, Jun 27, 2005.

1. marqj

marqj

Jan 2, 2005
    I heard from a fellow member here (woodstock) that there is a manufacturer that makes a string mute mechanism installation for bass guitar that allows the user to cut them on and off on the fly. We do not know the name of the manufacturer. Any ideas? Web address?

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I've seen Mike Dirnt use one, but I 've never seen one for sale. That's what your palm and pinky are for...

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  4. Yes, that is rather pricey...considering that anyone with a few machining tools can probably knock one up in an evening. But, hey, they're trying to make a business out of it and it is definitely cool.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's great if you have the machining tools and the know how, isn't it?

Someone with wood and a chisel can make a bass, too, so why buy one of those? :D

I managed to pick up one of the elusive BassMutes here on Talkbass about 4-5 months ago. It works as advertised, and adds a bunch of new tonal options.

Heh--and the day you can make playing with your thumb and pinky sound like a heavily muted bridge while using a pick on flats at the neck, I'm all ears. :D

I've used it with flats and rounds, and prefer the way it sounds with flats. And, between Sadowsky flats and TI Jazz Flats, I like the way it sounds with the Jazz Flats the best.

It'll be going on my Black Sapphire Bongo to stay once a new pickguard arrives for it. The only bad thing about using it with that bass is that I'll have to modify the pickguard to use the mute. No mods were needed for the install on my Sadowsky, though.

Here it is on my white fretless Bongo:

[​IMG]

6. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    +1