1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass string silk colors

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Martin T, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Martin T

Martin T

Mar 17, 2016
    Can anyone tell me what strings Nathan East uses on his BBNE2 ?

His site says DR.
    But - dr’s I have had have no silk ends just string winding all the way!

Some pics show him on his BBNE2 with RED silk ends. I’m pretty sure it’s not Rotosound... or Bass Boomers...

One post suggested Thomastik so I bought a set. Arrived today. The ends are green!

I’m also pretty sure he’s not using Thomastik Flats - which I’m told have RED silk ends...

Any ideas???

Thank you!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Other than everything you've mentioned already, LaBella flats are the only other strings I know of with red silks, other than those el cheapos that come on Chinese made basses.

That being said, his site says he uses Dunlop strings..which do not have silks.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Purple sounds better.

4. Martin T

Martin T

Mar 17, 2016
    Which ones are purple?

5. Martin T

Martin T

Mar 17, 2016
    Maybe he has some kinda custom set he’s not sharing?... I’ve been through so many different sets over the years and different Basses - when I purchased a BBNE2 about a year ago I’ve gone through about 5 different set types - it’s like - always looking for that personal bass/strings/gear setup you know.

Nathan is great and has a signature tone. If you watch a few YouTube demo videos he did - when he “plucks” or kinda “flick - plucks” with his fingers the tension to me looks a little less that 45-G through whatever.

6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    GHS - I have them on one of my Fender Jazz basses, feel and sound awesome!

7. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Pyramids long scale too, violet/purple.

8. EBMM cobalt flats are purple too.