1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass String Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm going to try to be a specific as I can.
    I play in a rock band, so I need defined, aggressive sound thats not harsh. I can't stand harsh strings and I use a GK amp, so the bright harsh sound gets amplified (sometimes unbearably).
    BUT, I also need to strings to soften into a more jazzy mellow sound that sits in the mix nicely(not punching through everything else).
    I play 5 string, so the low B must sound defined. Doesn't have to be a huge fat sound, but I want no muddiness.
    Is this impossible? What's your best suggestions?
    Oh, and I would prefer a roundwound string. Flatwound strings feel slow and wierd to me.

2. No offense, but have you considered using your EQ onboard to change your sound? A good pickup change and a deep mellow bassy sound will surely serve you well.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ozzyman, Bassjunior is right. Learn to use the EQ on that thing... I have and I've run a stainless-steel stringed Stingray with a pick through my GK stack, and have managed to tame the harshness of all three.

Try using your contour knob, it knocks out some of the harsh mids.