1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Strings and Tunings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GassGhost, Dec 28, 2006.

1. GassGhost

GassGhost

Oct 9, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hi and Merry Christmas to all!

I just bought an MTD Kingston Heir 5 Fretless and need a little help with the set up. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with.:help:

1.) I'm a guitar player moving to the "LOW SIDE" and I'd like to try a standard EADGB tuning instead of the BEADG. I started to tighten the .125 B string and noticed the neck was moving forward so I stopped. I would assume I need to drop the Gauge of the current B string to the current E string (from .125 to .105) and basically shift all the string over 1 position and add a string to the B position. Can some one verify this for me.

2.) Have any of you played DR Black Beauties? This bass would look really cool with them but I'm concerned with tone since they are coated.

3.) I really like the tonal qualities of player like Jimmy Haslip, Percy Jones, Jaco, and John Patitucci (pardon the spellings) I'm looking for a good MWaah but also like top end clarity. I use a Eden WT300 and a 210XLT for amplification and would just like some suggestions on sound and set up. I'm pretty handy and have been setting up all of my guitars for years. The fretless is a slightly different beast and I could really use some professional advise from all of you great players out there!

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Gassghost:bassist:

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You will want to tune...

EADGC... Keep it all in 4ths... youwill be MUCH happier when playing bass if they are all in 4ths...

You will have to re-set the neck since tension will be different...