Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Strings are way too expensive to be breaking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bradymccluer, May 15, 2002.

1. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    i have broken exactly 3 G-strings and 1 E-string in the last 2 weeks alone. I can't take it anymore, my fingers are not that powerful that they snap when i'm playing normal fingerstyle. They are breaking down at the bridge and i had this problem "fixed" (and i use that term lightly, because the guitar shop sucks) andyway they shaved down the saddle on the e string and it seemed fine for a while. but now i'm wondering if i should just be adjusting the height that the bridge is set at. OR if i could shave and smooth out the saddles a little myself. Anyone that could help i would greatly appreciate it. Or if you know of somewhere i can buy seperate bass strings without buying a full 20 dollar set everytime i break one, please tell me, i'm BROKE, I CAN'T AFFORD THIS!!!

PS i'm having trouble with a Hohner brand "B Bass" a lightweight P style bass, and the bridge is a hipshot customized bridge if that can help in helping me out.

2. hehehe, G strings...

anyway, maybe you could just buy a Gotoh bridge. warmoth sells em for $20, i think.
    but since your broke, i dont know what else you could do, but bring it to a qualified music store

www.warmoth.com

:confused:

3. You could try Graph Tech String Saver saddles. I think they make saddles for Hipshot bridges.

4. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    another thing that helps if you decide to keep the bridge as it is, is to rub the tip of a pencil and get some graphite on the saddle between the strings and the little groove. it reduces friction. also try switching to a different brand of string and see if that makes a difference
    -nik

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Take it back to the shop where the work was done and calmly and politely explain the problem to them. Ask the tech what his opinion on the subject would be. If you took it in to have that specific problem addressed and it hasn't been fixed to your satisfaction, said shop should offer to take another stab at it, at no cost to you.

6. What does allodox read while not being 100 % awake yet ?

:eek: :p

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It could be your strings.

Strings break at the saddle because of rough edges on the saddle..but how do they get there? The strings make them :eek:

I had your problem once. I had switched to a new string brand, after a few weeks one broke at the bridge during a gig. I had the saddles filed smooth and made a note to never buy that brand of string again.

Oh and stop complaining about string prices. I bought a set for my upright that was just shy of $300 :eek: The E string broke less than a minute after I strung it up! :(
    Luckily the dealer agreed to exchanging them for a new set which has held up for over a year so far :cool:

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I was having the same problem for a time. I got the saddle shaved and now there is no breakage of the G-string... I guess thats a good thing ;)

9. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    ahh yes... even when i don't mean to be, i am a sex fiend. But they always said, men think about it every 6.3 seconds and it took me a couple minutes to type that so it was bound to show up:p

10. About a year ago I had the same problem with breaking strings. But to remedy the situation I changed string brand (D'Addario to Warwick), and played with a lighter touch, and I haven't broken one string since.

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, play with a lighter touch is an excellent start. And string prices are NOTHING like they used to be. I can get Brite Flats for about $20 now, and even with discounts, I was spending almost double that several years ago. You young'uns weren't around when normal string prices could top $40 for the middle line strings. :D

12. When it cost upwards of $35 bucks for Rotosounds. Of course, the music store always seemed to have a buy one, get one free rule in place ...

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    these strings are good!! and cheap check them out!!
    www.Webstrings.com
    steve
    and if you buy so many you get a disscount or free strings!!!