Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Strings for Fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JOME77, Aug 25, 2002.

1. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've been playing fretless for approx. 10 years and have a 5-string 34" scale Warmoth that I put together to see how I'd like playing fretless. I tried different types of strings on the bass (halfwound, flatwound, nickle roundwounds...) and finally settled on D'Addario nickle coated roundwound. I've had the same set on the bass for several years now and they sound good but I'm getting the itch to try some different strings again. What are some good strings that some of you fretless players have found? Something that has good growl but doesn't eat the fingerboard up. How often do you change your fretless stings? I'd also like something available for 35" scale length because I recently ordered a new Roscoe fretless.

2. I use Thomastik Infeld jazz flats. Nice growl, but not round wound. How long do they last? I have yet to change a set. So fat they ahve been on the bass about 18 months. I have also had a set on another (fretted) bass for 3 years. I sold the bass before I changed the strings.

3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I went from Fender 9050's to Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats, to D'Addario XL's to D'Addario Chromes and back to the TI's. And this time they are staying. I've had them for a total of 8 months and they sound amazing.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Another vote for Thomastik jazz
    flatwound strings. These are whats on my fretless jazz. Cromes are very good, I just think T I's are much better. YMMV

5. How do the TI flats sound on a fretted bass? I have been thinking about throwing a set on my cort NA 5 hopng to aleviate my gas for a P bass a little for the time being.

6. No strings will make one bass sund like another.

I have to confess, I am a TI addict. I can not use other strings. I have them on my jazz bass, and consider the combination of TI and P bass to have been made in heaven.

I wonder how long this thread will last till John or Ryan shoves it in 'strings' where it shoudl go?

7. Iknow it wont make it sound like a P bass but i am hoping it will subside my gas by giving me more of a thump hit you in the chest sound of a pbass. I know it wont sound like a P but maybe a little closer.

8. I have TI flats on my fretted Modulus Quantum 6. I love them.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Sorry! I'm new to the site and didn't even know there was a string category. I guess that I should explore the site a little more.
    Sounds like I should try the TI Jazz strings. I was going to buy a set a couple months ago but the store didn't have 5-string set's.

10. Don't worry...moving threads is what moderators are for!!!

:D

Welcome to the board, BTW!!

11. another vote for TI's. i've had them on my fretless tobias since i got it in december of last year. they sound awesome although i must admit that i haven't tried out any other strings but it's just hard to believe than any could sound better than these.

12. I sympathise! But the only way you will satisfy your P gas is by getting a P.

I had a look at the NA5, and it is a neck through (P is bolt on) active (P is passive), Bartolini driven (P uses the wonderful P pickup!) with a maple bodyy (P uses alder or less frequently ash) and wenge neck (P uses maple). It seems to have a chunky bridge (P uses classic bent metal).

It looks like a bass that is designed to give a full, fairly bright, sonorous tone rather than the woody, whumpy punch of the P.

13. I have an older NA5 Mine is a bolt on and has passive pickups. I am not sure who makes them. they are jazz in style i guess you would say. I know I am going to want a P Bass. I have been saving and looking for a American deluxe P 5. but have yet to find one. I am just looking for less then a 100 dollar way to get a punchier tone till I find one.

14. Well, try TIs, then...but take care...they need a two or three week settling in period, and they can feel sticky at first. Also you might try installing a series parallel switch...if your bass is wired as a jazz bass, the pups will be wired in parallel. Series wiring will make the bass punchier. And switching between them allows you the best of both worlds.

Here's a post about the modification.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=262

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, bizarre. i can't believe how long i missed this one. off ta strings with ya.

16. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    SIT Powerwounds on fretless 6... Works well when slapped :)

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    TI Jazz Flats!

18. i'v got rotosound black nylon wound strings on my p-bass fretless, i'm interested in trying TI's jazz flats on both my fretless but mostly on my fretted 5
    what kinda sound am i gonna get compared to the nylon wounds?

*Si*

19. I always use GHS Brite Flats on my fretless Jazz Bass and occasionally put a set on one of my basses (a Reverend Rumblefish XL & a P-Bass clone). I am a big fan.

20. Nylon Flats are very nice, but I think nothing compares to TI Jazz Flats!