Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass strings tight or loose when shipping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by truckin88, Mar 7, 2005.

1. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    as the topics says when u ship a bass should the strings be tight or loose?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Loose, better while being moved around through different climate and humidity changes.

3. heh tight or loose

i have to get out more

4. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    i've heard both, but i believe John Hall from Rickenbacker said that they ship all of their basses in tune. something about relieving the tension on the neck makes it more liable to break during shipping. though i could have misread.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My Dingwall came loose, which is what I based my opinion on. However ive heard from others posting here that thier bass was in tune when they got it, so maybe are just two schools of thought hehe.

6. I'd imagine that loosened strings would prevent them from snapping in case of extreme climate changes (eg going from California to Alaska where the wood would likely pull back on the strings, causing possible snappage). Jon Hall makes a good point about having tension on the neck, so I guess the healthy medium would be to relieve the tension a bit (maybe a step or two down, no more).

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Have heard it both ways from reputable sources - so I ship about half tension. Who knows.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Rickenbacker, Lakland, and MTD all ship with the basses tuned. I'd say THEY know. String tension is needed to counteract trussrod tension.

9. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i just take the strings out

10. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I de-tune just enough that all the tuner keys are inline/level with the headstock. I have never had a problem, and there is also less chance of a bent or broken tuner if the headstock gets slammed.

11. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I ship my basses in tune with protection between the strings and the
    fingerboard to keep the frets or fingerboard in good condition.

It has been my thought that if you ship the bass w/o tension
    it will take a couple days to get the neck to settle in and get the proper
    neck relief again.

12. If you're detuning the strings wouldn't it also be a good idea to loosen the truss rod? Or would that only be a factor in extreme climate changes?

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    +1