Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bobby Bass, May 25, 2003.

1. Can you identify my bass strings? The strings that are on my Kay M1 (1950) are OK but what are they? Of course they are flat wound. Smooth felling to the fingers. The silk is different colors on each string. E-med. blue, A-Dark Blue or Black, D-violet or purple & G-white or as it appears dirty white. They were on the bass when I bought it several years ago & it came from a local violin/bass shop. It was a trade in. What can anyone tell me about these strings?

2. Next time, Bob, please note that we have topic-specific forums. This will enhance getting answers to your questions.

3. Looks like, according to Quinn, that the strings are Corelli Rope Core Tungsten Medium. Is this a pretty good string for me to start on? I'm just beginning lessons in a couple of weeks. As too what style I will be playing I would assume the standard method books. Learning the bow. Thank you for the info. I probably should have posted in the string column, sorry.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    This is a high quality hybrid string (good for pizz and bow playing). Light tension, easy to play.
    They were developed with the help of virtuoso François Rabbath, and he plays these strings exclusively. They're made in France by Savarez.
    Good luck!