1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass strumming

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rudeger, Oct 23, 2006.

1. rudeger

rudeger

Oct 23, 2006
    Texas
    has anyone ever watched a bass video and they are flinging their arm up and down like strummin a guitar?:bassist: How do you do this? any hints....I try but i hit other strings. I've been playing for a while and usually just rest my hand on the body of my bass....any help?hints?tips?? please

2. chaotick

chaotick

Aug 15, 2006
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    A strum would be hitting multiple strings [on purpose] usually while your left hand is holding a chord.

You might be reffering to alternate picking, where you hit one string on the up and down pick [or fingering]. If that is what you mean, just start slowly until you seem accurate every time, and then speed up.

FYI: This is in the wrong section.

3. Probably better to ask in the technique forum.

4. It's rare that I play this way, but occasionally on something like a Green Day tune. You basically need to have fairly good aim so that you are hitting the right string, or at least not many others with it, in addition to muffling the other strings with your left hand so that even if you do hit the other strings, you don't hear them.

5. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    yeah i use it a lot playing primus songs, pretty much it's used for double stops or chords. but if you practice enough you can get it to where you can strum the D string by it's self. practice and you'll get it

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Just mute the strings you dont want to hit and go nuts.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021