1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass study in LA?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bardlute, Jul 18, 2008.

1. bardlute

bardlute

Jul 27, 2007
    Shanghai, China
    I'm considering attending some serious schools for studying jazz. It seems there are lots of schools that can provide double bass programs in the cities like NYC and Boston.
    I am just wondering if I go to the west coast, especially LA, are there any good schools to study jazz double bass that you guys like to recommend?
    Please give me some advices and information, thank you!

2. USC - John Clayton

you'll have to pay quite a bit of tuition to attend USC (unless you get a hefty scholarship) but John Clayton is by far one of the warmest, most helpful and inspirational educators I have come across. He's a real stickler when it comes down to technique and stuff but that's exactly what a developing bass player needs.

Fullerton College - Roger Shew

Roger actually has a Talkbass account. I started studying bass with him and he's really an unbelievable guy. I wouldn't be where I am now without his help.

hope this helps. p.m. me for more information if you need it

good luck

3. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    He's not currently affiliated with any schools, but if you are in L.A., I believe that you would do really well to study with Terry Plumeri:

http://terryplumeri.com/

or to see/hear him play:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=terry+plumeri&search_type=&aq=0&oq=terry+pl

For me, he was the best teacher I have ever had, period. Including any/all of the teachers I had at MSM. I studied with him, privately, for about three years.

He is a bass virtuoso doing something unique; playing arco, in jazz (he has plenty of pizz facility, too.) A truly inspired, insightful teacher who can play amazingly well, thinks profoundly, and can teach really, really well. He studied at MSM with the former Principal Bass with the NY Philharmonic, Robert Brennand.

Terry was on the road with Roberta Flack in her heyday. Settled in D.C. for awhile, then moved to L.A. to write soundtracks.

He is also a professional composer (hundreds of movie sound tracks and several orchestral compositions, performed internationally). Also, a great conductor, most recently performing with the Moscow Philharmonic. Finally, he has a great overall musical mind; he studied composition with Antal Dorati, used to play in the National Symphony, and has taught several workshops analyzing Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring", measure by measure, for example.

No matter who else you hook up with in school, you would do well to study with Terry if you want to play jazz bass and learn a ton about music, beyond that. :)

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    +1. Just had a workshop with John this past weekend. Super nice guy. Maybe too nice. :p You can't go wrong with him.

5. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Worked a gig where he was on the bill and had nice things to say about our band/my playing.

He's a real stickler when it comes down to technique and stuff but that's exactly what a developing bass player needs.-Kevin

Will mention that he asked me about my 'choices' in a difficult passage and demonstrating on 'air bass' what he might have done.

I was impressed.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021