1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HenniTheRover, Apr 12, 2006.

1. HenniTheRover

HenniTheRover

Feb 13, 2006
    I am looking to upgrade my bass, i play a bit of slap bass but i prefer warm bluesy bass lines. What type of bass is diverse enough to have a warm bluesy tone but can handle slap bass. I am also taking suggestions on amps.

2. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    Rickenbacker 4003.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, budget is a crucial bit of info if you want some recommendations, but anyway I have not enough words for praising the Music Man Bongo (specially if you're looking for versatility). The search function will return you lots of threads about it.

For an amp, maybe you'd like to check my rig.

Hope this helps.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman anything.. Fender jazz... G&L anything.. Lakland..

5. bfonf

bfonf

Feb 20, 2006
    Oh yeah the Bongo is great too.

6. +1
    I'm sure the everything else figjam said works too, but i love the stingray i have. Can get nice warm lows to cus thump through songs, or i can slap on it and sound nice and crisp and cut through like no other.

I would have said my rickenbacker cus its got nice low smooth bluesy tone that can also play rock, but i personally think it dont have good slap tone. I like how poping sounds on it, but the slap kind of just sounds like hard fingerstyle.

7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I certainly think that the Stingray would be a top contender ... and the L1500 G&L may be even better with it's active/passive layout.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1, negatory on the Ric also...

9. 1zero

1zero

May 20, 2005
    a lil bit of slap and warm bluesy bass lines?
    i think a fender jazz might suit you

go out and try every bass you can put your hands on..what works for someone might not work for you.

10. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Can't go wrong with a Jazz

11. I wouldn't rule out a P-Bass. The signature warm blusey sound bass and some pretty cool retro-slap tones hidden in there as well. Think about a maple board.
    Peace