1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass substitutions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xEriatarka, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Hello. I've been searching for a new 4-string bass as of lately, and have a huge obsession with Warwicks. Unfortunately, I haven't really found too many, and some of the few that I have found are the really high end models or limited models that are way too high priced for me.

Obviously I'll still be looking for Warwicks, but are there any other good substitutions that will give a tone similar to that of the "Warwick Growl?"

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Doesn't Warwick make a cheaper version called the "Rock Bass"?

3. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    The 'Wicks I've seen that "growl" tend to jave a Jazz config with active EQ. The soapbars IMHO tend to give a far smoother sound.

I would recommend looking for a similar config (2 Js, vol/pan/2-3 band) in other brands until you find something you're happy with. Remember that it's not just the bass, but the amp as well that gives growl. Certain combinations just don't have it.

Also try passive; your average MIM Jazz can have a lot of growl.

4. Yes, but I'm not looking for the Rock Bass models. I have more money than that. I've been trying to find more Corvettes and Thumbs, but have found more Streamers and Dolphins.

I'm staying as far away from Fenders as possible. I already have an American Fender Jazz, and have played MIM Jazz Basses...and I do love my Jazz bass and its tone, but I don't need another bass with that tone. My Fender and old Warwick were as far different as possible.

5. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Ahh gotcha. Have you tried the local gui**** Center? The one by me always has 3 or 4 Warwicks.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Nothing sounds like a Warwick but a Warwick IMO. Corvette Standards are not too pricey used and will likely give you the growl you are looking for. Can't offer much help other than that.

7. I've been trying to stick with finding used ones to save money. Besides ordering a custom bass, I don't think I'll ever buy another new bass.

8. Sorry...when I said that I meant in the sense that I will never be buying another bass as new. I'm pretty much set on buying used basses.

Oh...and I don't know much about the Tobias sound. All I really know is that the Pre-Gibson ones are much better.

Anyone else that can help?

9. deathofbalance

deathofbalance

Jul 11, 2006
    Try ordering an Ash Corvette Standard. $850 for the 4-string. I played one in a 5 at Guitar Center the other day, and will definitely vouch for its quality. I realize you're set against buying new, so look around for used, but it's their only 4-string in triple digits, so I'd suggest you go for it.

10. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    GONG! Wrong concept. I tried out a bunch of Warwicks a few weeks ago, and the Rockbass model I tried ($300, 5-string, used) was the best of the bunch. If it hadn't been blue (ghag), I'd have walked out with it on the spot. That Rockbass and a Carvin LB70 for $400 have been two of the best-playing and sounding basses I've tried lately. Sound and feel correlate with cost, but it's not a strong correlation.

As Brad Johnson says (and I entirely agree) if you set out to buy a bass armed only with a lot of money, you'll come home with an expensive bass. I'd gladly show up at my next gig with that Warwick Rockbass and a big grin, plug it in, and produce rich huge sound. Maybe I should have bought it anyway ($300 doesn't really signify to me) and stuck a few decals on it. I mean, it felt and sounded GOOD.

11. I've already played a couple Rock Basses, and I prefer the normal Warwicks. But I totally agree. I tried to play some of the upper Jazzman basses and I was not a happy camper.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't say I blame you. You take a giant hit on price if you ever want to sell it unless you wait 30 years for it to possibly become a collector's item.

Spector. Warwick "borrowed" the Streamer shape from Spector. Yeah, I know it's not the shape you want, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else who makes basses as ugly as Thumbs and Dolphins ;)