1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass suggestion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ti-Ron, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Hi everybody,

I am a longtime lurker but I've decided to jump in ask some questions. First of all, keep in mind that I am a long time guitar player and I don't have a lot of experience on bass other than noodling on other people bass when I have the chance.

I'm in a new music project, there's no guitar but 2 basses. The other guy is player a stingray with an additional guitar pickups, played in stereo into two amps. He is mostly the lead bass and I more the rythm guy.

Our music is more hardcore/sludge oriented.

For the moment, I play with a no name bass tuned to BEAD (borrowed to the other guy in the project). The problem I have is the B string sounds flobby, I can't barely hear it in the mix. I did some search here, and found that some lower output pickups can do that. I am on the search for a bass to accomodate our playing style.

I found a real good deal on a used Ibanez SR505 (450$ CAD) is it a good choice? Would the B string sounds better, more punchy?

Or should I invest in a G&L Tribute L2500 (Found one for 600$ CAD)?

Sorry for the long post!

2. SR505 is certainly not a bad bass.

Your current bass is maybe flobby because of the string gauge you're using? Is it a proper B-string?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Just a quick impression. Have you tried changing the strings? I know that sounds crazy, but that's what I would do before sinking money into the unknown. Maybe even try a heavier gauge B string. Might need to file the nut to accommodate, but that's where I would start.

The SR505 or the L2500 are both nice 5 string basses for the money. I've owned both. Only sold because they weren't my sound. The pickups/preamp on the 505 were a bit anemic to my ears. The 2500 wasn't bad, but I found my tone in another bass.

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I never even thought to make that consideration. If he's using an E to make a B, that would be very bad.

bholder likes this.
  5. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Actually it's a proper 5 strings set without the G string. It plays fine but sounds really weak.

6. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Heavier?!? Damn my fingers will die! ;)

In the guitar world I play huge strings (13s) but I'm still not used to those fat bass strings yet. I'll try other gauge and maybe a proper setup but since it's not my bass, I'm really looking to get one on my own.

bholder likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    How big is the B? In my opinion, the bigger the better, I'm using a .145 B on some of my basses now. It may just be that the bass isn't solidly put together enough for a good low B, but try a string replacement first, you can even just buy single strings to replace the B to experiment until you find one to your liking (way cheaper than buying a whole bunch of full sets).

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well then, what's your target sound and price range? Lots of great advice to be had here on good "bang for the buck" basses (and there are plenty of great deals out there these days). You can tell from my sig what some of my preferences are). ;)

And yeah, heavier music needs heavier strings, funny that!

9. If it isn't as loud as the other strings, it may be the amp/cab frequency response.

Silas Stingy and DigitalMan like this.
  10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    different strings have different wrappings and different cores, but it's also possible that the low string needs to be adjusted (or the pickup) so the string is closer to the pickup.

btw, i have an ibanez SR500, and i really like it a lot and recommend it often.

Sartori likes this.
  11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What amp are you playing this all through?

12. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    It's a peavey nitro bass with a 1x15 and a 2x10 cabs.

13. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Since the other bass player in more in the higher ranger, I would like to keep it on the bottom size. I like the bass sound of Cello Dias in the early years of Soulfly. Bassy but with a pinch of hot sauce! :D Al Cisneros of Sleep and Marc Eginton from Earthless are also big influence.

I would like to keep the budget under 700$ CAD on the used market.

I know, my previous projet was stoner/sludge with a lot of fuzz. I jump from 10s to 13s to get enough string tension to do Drop A#.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Based on your last post OP you can't go wrong with the SR505 (IMHO). Mine is an older (heavier!) MIK and is capable of a very deep but growling/gnarly sound from the B string, but you must not over EQ. This sounds what you are looking for as a counterpoint to the other bass?

Ti-Ron and Gilmourisgod like this.
  15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I think you're going to find that if you upgrade your bass you're going to find the rig to be inadequate as well. 450w into not a lot of speakers in a loud environment very well may not be enough and you're simply expecting too much.

It's entirely possible that your current bass has a floppy feeling B and you're not hearing it quite as well because your rig can't produce those frequencies at a loud enough volume.

Do you have the ability to plug your bass into decent headphones? How does the B sound through them rather than the rig?

Low output pickups really shouldn't cause the issue you are describing. My 5 string J basses all have low output pickups and my low B sounds thunderous through my rig.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Both G&L and SR505 great basses, but the light weight and tighter string spacing on the 505 will be an easier transition for a guitarist. Get the SR505.

Ti-Ron likes this.
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Maybe a wild card, but check out this review of the Ibanez 6-string short-scale bass. I can't imagine an easier transition for a guitar player:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  18. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Whatever you decide, definitely look at heavier gauge B strings. They add a lot more tension and really make a big difference.

Nev375 likes this.
  19. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Checked your pickup height? Setup?

20. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Get the Ibanez Mikro 5 string. I love mine. I've owned dozens of basses in every price range up to $4k and it's my favorite of them all. As a guitarist, you will probably feel more at home with the 28.6" scale neck. Sounds just as good as the 505 but weighs less and it's only $199. Can't beat it.

Ti-Ron and wintremute like this.