1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass suggestion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ti-Ron, Jan 17, 2017.

1. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Strings are part of the equation - B strings are typically too thin in gauge to match the rest of the set. And you won't easily find a cabinet that'll do a B string justice. Most bass amps don't even cover a low E that well. I have speakers that I built to go down to D (I'm an Acoustical Physicist, so this is kinda normal stuff for me, and D is as low as I tune my basses). The cabinets are about twice the physical volume you typically see for bass guitar cabinets - they look a bit huge for the drivers you see in them, but....they work. Most bass guitar rigs are designed to fit into cars and such, not for optimum acoustical performance - people just don't want speakers that big. I have a small SUV, but I'm not sure if I desinged speakers to truly cover a low B, if they'd fit in the thing. Probably not.

Crowd crusher likes this.
  2. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    Since you are a guitar player...how about a Fender Bass VI (with appropriate effects)?

3. Is this other a guy a TB member? I'd love to have a look at this thing.

Regarding your actual question, I love Ibby SR 5 stringers (I love the tighter spacing and thin necks), a but that's probably my least favourite model due to the body finish being incredible delicate and prone to scuffs and general ugliness.

Also, I haven't had a chance to read other responses, but try playing your existing B string closer to the bridge than you do on the other strings. A lighter touch on that string, particularly, helps too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I find being more careful to pluck horizontally (parallel to the top) rather than vertically (perpendicular to the top) really helps on B string clanks and fret buzz. Still takes a lighter, or at least more careful, touch to sound good.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Ive highlighted some important points in this post --- Many 5-String players, or players that use a Low "B" String, have some degree of issue with those lower notes on that string cutting through a mix, and thats playing with new strings, very articulate technique, and playing much cleaner genres --- so you are already a little behind the 8-ball in that regard

My suggestion is: Before you go out and buy a new bass, I would suggest getting your no-name bass properly setup (if it isnt)and using the freshest roundwounds as possible and keep your amp EQ as flat as possible, increasing the Master Volume to get desired bottom-end-phatness and only utilizing the EQ to get it where you want it to be. Thats a good place to start

BTW: What amp/cab/combo are you using? (this could also compound the issue)

TB is full of threads of guys that want to go out and get new basses when setups and strings may be the issue with the bass, sometimes coupled with improper amp piloting

Ti-Ron likes this.
  6. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    One thing worth mentioning is that Ibanez basses have a really tight string-spacing. I personally can't stand it, but if you are used to guitars, then you might find it more familiar. A friend used to have a SR505, and he liked it, but he wanted a 35" scale instead, because he thought they had a better sounding B-string.

If you want to make the 4-string bass you have sound better, then you could try experimenting with the pickup height. New vs old string also makes a huge difference. And as people already have mentioned: where you pick/pluck the strings and how hard you play has a huge impact on the sound. Depending on what string gauges you are already using, you could maybe try some heavier strings. If you have a normal 45-100 or 45-105 set, they are probably too light, remember a 5-string bass usually have 130 gauge on the B-string.

Ti-Ron likes this.
  7. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Depending on the cabs, I'd be pretty skeptical of this rig putting out sludge-volume bass in B standard. If you haven't already, I'd suggest trying your bass through other amps to make sure this is really an instrument issue.

Not sure if this was covered, but is the B string weak when you play the bass unplugged too?

(typing this as I'm about to head to practice for a sludge/crust band in C/A#)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    It sounds like a bass with a Precision pup would solve the problem, lots of growly mids. The lead bassist could then noodle his nuts off while you and the drummer set the groove.
    Down and dirty.

9. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Setup! I play mediums (50-105) and I barely kiss the strings with my left hand. At least, until the weather changes and and I have to take the $&^*#€! neck off to tweak the truss rod. Soon, I will find time to make/install a spoke wheel nut.

Light right-hand technique helps too. Let the amp do the work.

10. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Question: does the other bass player have a b string you are competing with? What eq are you using? How good is the setup? Pick or fingers?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered already.

11. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    String it up EADG and buy an octave pedal.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Chris Squire used to tune an 8 string bass with the e and A in octaves and the D and G with the high string only a 5th above. This way you can play root and 5th 2 note chords with one finger.

So consider an 8 string bass or even one of these ... a 10 string bass

Picture 301.jpg

14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Ti-

when you are changing from guitar to bass, fat strings, spacing and the 5- string surfboards we' re refering to as necks can get you in trouble at the start.
    Try to play as many different basses as you can get to find out which one is best for you!

With your budget of 700 bucks you can get a decent bass for what you want. (one with a good touch and good tone)

welcome to the world of deep and deeper

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Ti-Ron likes this.
  15. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    G&L. Powerful, versatile and dependable. All wrapped up in one bass.

16. Lowness

Lowness Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    I'd jump straight into a 35" 5-string: Yamaha trb or Ibanez fanfret.

It will give you better definition on the B string and you can hit it harder.

Ti-Ron likes this.
  17. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Out of the 2 basses I would pick the L2500, I used to own an SR500 and briefly an sr506, in the long run, the G&L is a better bass.

Many peavey cabs are weak on the low end, especially the headliners. Upgrading the cabs to older used SWR and Eden is a good way to go, D-xlt eden cabs, and Goliath IIIs are the ones to get. The eden d210xlt is a 2x10 that slams, the Goliath JR 2x10s not so much. I used to run an SWR son of Bertha 115 and eden d210xlt together with 5 string Warwicks, and it really handled the B well. Also a Goliath III with d210xlt on top, or d410xlt and d210xlt for a monster 610 rig. Good cabs make a difference, and because these are all heavy, they are cheap on the used market.

Ti-Ron likes this.
  18. Have you gotten a setup?

19. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    WOW! Thanks all for the answers, I'll try to respond to everyone.

Yeah, exacly, I don't want to play in the same "zone" as him. I really want to geep the deep dark side to myself and let him play de lead stuff.

Yesterday I tried the bass thry my Ampeg SCR-DI into a Scarlett 6i6 and the B string still sound weaker than the other strings into the headphones. Mayby strings and pickups tweaking will solve that.

We did a basic setup and found that the B string wasn't fitted in the nut slut properly. After some filing... HUGE DIFFERENCE!

NealBass, Sartori and RyanJD like this.