1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass suggestion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ti-Ron, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    We did try a 8x10 yesterday, it helped alot but the biggest change was nut filing! :)
    Tonight I will try to tweak the pickups to how it goes.

Thanks everyone! :)

2. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Good suggestion, I never tough of that! I'll look if I can try one localy! :)

I don't think so, but I can ask him for a pic. It a pretty simple setup. He routed a pickup cavity between the Singray humbucker and the bridge. Put a 7 strings guitar high output pickup in it and added a dual volume control for each pickups. The sound of that stereo setup is insane!

The answer is yes and no. He have a B string but he's tuned one octave higher than me.

I know all I need is a Ric, but my wallet and my fiancé will kill me! ;)

Matthew_84 likes this.
  3. That would make a pretty big difference. Glad you're getting improvement after re-seating the string.

What strings are you using, anyway?

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    So...he's playing guitar? ;)

5. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    I think you're on the right track, and if you're able to cart them around you can sometimes get 8x10s pretty cheap because there's such a specific and small market for them (compared to cabs that are easier to ship and pick up).

That said, 8x10s aren't necessarily the best cabs for going super deep. I use a pair of ported 1x15s for my band in C/A#, because they push a lot more low bass than my 8x10.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  6. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Whoa, weird. Why even bother with a bass at that point? This is the guy who should be looking at a baritone or bass VI, not you!

7. Eh, I've seen plenty bands that tune super low use 810s and sound great. It's more about the harmonics than the fundamental.

morgan138 likes this.
  8. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Oh yeah, for sure! I meant that 8x10s sometimes have an undeserved rep for being "heavy-sounding" because they're so huge and are used by so many loud bands.

Obviously they've worked well for tons of low-tuned bands, but I'm just saying that if I was specifically worried about projecting a low B...an 8x10 wouldn't necessarily be the first place I'd look.

EDIT: at the end of the day though, I think getting any serious cab would really help here. If the other bass player is actually tuned up to B, Ti-Ron is pretty much the only real bass in this band.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I had the Peavey Fire Bass 700 (higher-wattage version of the Nitro Bass 450), TVX-210, and BVX-115 for a couple years. No matter what bass I used, we all struggled to hear anything below approximately 300Hz through it. However, it was a great rig for mid-range and highs! Once I switched to a 6x10" cab and a different head, the low frequencies suddenly arrived.

10. Yeah, the main thing is being able to push a lot of air.

morgan138 likes this.
  11. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    He never played guitar, he's just more comfy on a bass neck/scale. I also think he likes to have the low F# avaible.

morgan138 likes this.
  12. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Ah, I was confused...thought you said he was tuned to high B standard.

13. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Oh, my mistake! He's tuned F# - B - E - A but one octave higher than me.

morgan138 likes this.
  14. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Forget the bass v1, i'll stick to my original idea, fundamental deep growling lows tuned BEAD baby!

Ti-Ron likes this.
  15. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    The other guy has a b string tuned an octave up? Your band sounds so interesting. I really want know how this all sounds. Drag that other guy to TB. I want a run down on his rig!

Ti-Ron likes this.
  16. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Longer scale Bass (35") will help..

17. Ti-Ron

Ti-Ron

Aug 25, 2016
    Give us some time and I'll post audio clips.
    We have just jammed a couple of time yet. ;)

18. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    If you're planning to record it and have that frequency play and sit well in the mix, you'll need to have a good set of studio monitors with subwofer when you're mixing. Most of the sub frequencies below 40hz is not so much heard, but felt. And to feel it you'll need to mix with louder volume to feel how it sits in the mix.

Also, it will get muddy with 2 basses being recorded. This requires some special EQ techniques to bring the lead bass forward or side to side in the mix and keeping the rhythm bass center and lower in the songs dynamic range. And this can be done with automation or sidechain compression. You'll want to run high pass filter cut and low pass filter cut to separate the 2 bass' frequencies, and avoid both basses using the same frequency range, as it will be muddy or boxy.

Ti-Ron likes this.
  19. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    Gotcha! So like a regular bass, but raised by one whole step.