Bass Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgrl, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bassgrl

Dec 20, 2005
    I'm considering buying a new bass and I'm looking for suggestions. I have a Schecter Elite 4 string bass, which I actually like. I use an Ampeg BA115HP that I use for practicing and in small clubs. I mostly play 80's rock/hard rock and want a new bass to replace my Schecter. I'll use the Schecter as a backup. I'm not really a gear freak and I'm not looking for the best money can buy. I want something a step or 2 up from what I'm using and want to stay under $1000.00. Considering the style of music I play (a little slapping here and there, no jazz) what would some of you suggest I testdrive? Thanks for your help.

2. emielow

Jan 18, 2004

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Warwick Corvette
    MM Stingray
    Spector Legend
  4. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    she wants to stay below a grand, not above it.

Ibanez makes good 4's for under 1000, the SR1000 series is especially nice (I woild know, I own one). You can get flame maple or walnut tops, and they have 5 piece necks, and very good quality hardware and electronics.

ESP also makes good 4 stringers for that price, so I'd check out those as well.

Might want to look at the Fender big block P.

good luck,

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Look at the Lakland Skylines...they're a great value for the money. Check out the MTD import basses they're also well built for the $$$.

You also should spend some time perusing the used gear forum here...there's a ton of great instruments that sell for under 1K, and it's the way to get an expensive bass at a fraction of the new cost...and most TBers take better than excellent care of their gear. It really is the best way to maximize your cash value if you're on a budget!!!
  6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Agreed and agreed!
    Definately check out Lakland skylines, and the used forum here. I think there are 1 or 2 lakland 55-02's for sale now for around 800 or so. check it out. I have baught/traded stuff from TBers about 6-8 times and have never been dissapointed.
  7. BlackByrd

Dec 19, 2005
    I would suggest a Fender Jazz Bass.
  8. SX Jazz, modify it with the money you save.
  9. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    Wishbass :bag: :D

If you're willing to try something different, go for a BC Rich. Just get te NJ series models... great deal for the money and have great tone for most anyhting you want to play.

Or stay traditional with anything else.

just my 2 coins
  10. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    For under a grand, why not go with a Spector Rebop. They can be had rather inexpensively on ebay and they're probably the most comfortable bass to play.
  11. Used Warwick.

Used Sterling/StingRay.

12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    used stingray/sterling

used warwick thumb bolt on

so +1 to deathbloomslife
  13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    You`ve got many good options in the sub $1000 segment

- MM Stingray / Sterling
    - Warwick Corvette
    - Peavey Cirrus
    - Fender Jazz
    - Lakland Skyline

and some more.

Try to play as many basses as you can. Tastes differ from player to player and there are many factors involved (sound, playability, weight, aesthetics, electronics, etc.)
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Considering your music style id definitely go with a Musicman or a lakland.
  15. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Speaking entirely from a personal point of view, I'd say a used Peavey Cirrus and a Warwick Corvette would be my picks.
  16. Currently playing a ESP B-305FM. It sounds pretty well, but the highs are not so good. Didn't cost too much either, got it for about 600-650. That way, you can buy yourself a Fender P-Bass and beat the piss out of it on your last song.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I frown upon anyone who mistreats an instrument like that, unless its a wishbass.
  18. If you like you Schecter's tone, you'll like the Spector's tone too (just keep the names straight). Was trying to decide between a Stiletto 6 and a Spector 6 string (even though the difference was about $1000) in the summer before deciding to go custom (and I really can't get past the Schecter "honey" coloring).

The only thing that you might want to check out is the Spector balance (put a strap on it and the neck falls) - perhaps it's the way the strap buttons are positioned. I've always liked the curved back of the Spectors, but being a guy with a gut, it feels like it "just fits" comfortably.

"Take luck!!!"
  19. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    The Ibanez SR 1000 and 1005's are nice. Im thinking about one of them myself. The SR 900 is nice also, costs around $800. Fender has a new bass called the Big Block that I would consider especially for the kind of music you are playing. One last suggestion would be an Epiphone Elitist series EB-3. Costs $900 it's a short scale.