1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the general, Aug 30, 2008.

1. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    I think I'm ready for a better bass. I've gone through most of the bass ratings on this site and some have been helpful. But I still like a couple of particular brands: Ibanez, Schecter, and Warwick. Problem with Warwick is its a bit out of my price range. I'm looking to spend no more than say $300-$500. I did like the Schecter Deluxe 4, it was about $320 or so. And I like playing more rock music, but i'll try playing anything that sounds good. Since technique also contributes to the selection process, i pluck. I don't really play with a pick unless it metal or punk I'm playing which isn't often. But I'm also thinking of maybe going to a five string to open my options and not having to drop d my bass to play metal. But I'm looking for your suggestions being that a lot of you guys are more experienced then me. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    im just gonna throw out some names of basses ive looked into (being in your situation a few months ago)

-schecter stilleto 4(used)
    -ibanez AGB240
    -fender p MIM (used) u can upgrade A LOT if you get used
    -g&l L2000 tribute (used/scratch n dent @ musiciansfriend)
    -ibanez atk
    -ibanez srx400
    -luna :p
    -squier VM P
    -epiphone t bird
    -spector legend 4

when i was in this situation i asked a TON of noob questions and got the same answer everytime
    "GO TRY THEM OUT AND PICK WHICH ONE FEELS BEST"
    i disregarded it cause im lazy and didnt want to drive just to test out basses

but when i was in the area of GC i went in and tried out basses i thought id like (spector legend, epiphone t bird, hofner beatle bass) but i ended up LOVING the feeling and tone of a squier vm jazz fretless, GO FIGURE :p

good luck

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, all those he mentioned up there will be in your price range. No substitute for checking them out yourself, no matter what.

4. Buy used - if you love Warwicks, you may get one in your price range with luck (the genuine article, not Rockbass by Warwick), and whatever you end up with, you will get a better class of bass for your $. Obviously, especially when you start out, it's important to try before you buy though. But if you buy a new $300 to 500 bass, that's what you'll get. If you spend $500 on a used bass, you might get a $800 or $900 bass!

That said, my ATK's are brilliant for me, (both mine are 90's MIK ATK's I bought used) and the new ones are not quite as nice but not far off. I'd recommend a new ATK or a Yamaha BB series (414 or 415 passive is my preference, but try out the active ones as well) or the G&L tributes new in that price range as basses to definitely try out if you're going new. But used, you might luck out and get a higher-end ATK (MIJ 400 or 500 series), or a USA G&L...

Steve

5. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    i haven't looked into some of those. i'll have to do that, if the music stores near me have them. i know for sure the fenders and ibanez will be there. but i just got to find every hole in the wall and mega music store out there and someone will have them all eventually.