1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lukehwd, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    So I am looking for a new bass. I am looking for a bass with an mm pickup and I would like it (as cliche as it may be) to be able to nail the iconic Flea sound. I also don't have a TON of money to spend, around $800 or so. I have looked at the sterling by music man basses and both seem like good options. Out of the two (ray34 and sb14), which one gets closer to the Flea sound and what are other options of basses? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Look hard enough and you can pick up a used ENMM

3. justinellison3

justinellison3

Nov 9, 2012
    Flea actually recorded with an American standard jazz bass on most of their older stuff and some newer stuff. He also uses one live on some stuff. Dani California being one I know off the top of my head. I know for a fact he did on the Californication album. Just turn both pickups on and you have that MM humbucker sound. It wont sound exactly the same because one is active and the other is passive but its still a flea tone :)

4. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    I have a squier vm jazz bass and it does sound similar to the humbucker sound when both pickups are on, however I have played stingrays in my local music store and there is just something about the active mm pickup that I love

5. justinellison3

justinellison3

Nov 9, 2012
    I understand. Those music mans are awesome instruments

6. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    :eyebrow: Whaaaat? His tone always freakin has that MM bite to it. I even watched a rig rundown, and all of his basses were Modulus... You're blowing my mind right now!

Edit: Just listened to a few songs on YouTube - you're right!

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    It's just that Sb14 is basswood and Sterlin' Ray 34 is ash but, unless you go for Sterlin' "ca" (classic - 2 band only - active) which is not only ash but way more... "rough n'ready", the other two, again Sterling Ray34 and Sb14, sound very close to each other.

I'd tell Sterlin' Ray34 "ca", hopefully in a vintagey "mint green".

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    just my opinion... But, to me "the FLEA" sound is the GK more so than his myriad basses.

9. if you're patient you can probably get a used stingray here on talkbass. if you are impatient you can get a new sterling.

you could also find a used stingray sub for 4-600 and put some cash back in your pocket

or a brand new sterling SUB is 250 for a 4 string model and they are damn good basses. a lot of options and all of them good ones.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Lakland 55-02 is a great bass in your price range and does a SR quote well.

A used SR is your best option likely.

11. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    I have been thinking of getting a slightly "cheaper" bass (such as a sterling SUB bass) and switching out the preamp for the Bartolini ntmb preamp and the pickup for a Seymour Duncan. Would this get closer to that sound, and if so is it worth spending the money on a preamp, pickup and installation?

12. have you played the sterling SUB? they sound amazing as is, the pre-amp is hotter than the devils balls tho and needs a mod or ran with you -db pad on on your amp

13. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    I have never played them my local music store doesn't have them in yet how is the eq on them? Can you get a good variety of sounds out of it (including that nice flea sound of course :))?

14. justinellison3

justinellison3

Nov 9, 2012
    Why in hell would you EVER.... EVER change a Bart for a Duncan??? That's like trading 10k gold for a pile of dog crap.

15. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    If you read REALLY closely you will see he wanted to run a Bartolini preamp and a Seymour Duncan pickup. No idea why he chose that combination. But. He didn't say anything about "switching a Bart for a Duncan".

16. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    To be honest I really like the sound of the modulus funk unlimited 4 and it has a similar combo of Bart preamp and Seymour Duncan pickup

17. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    I'm just saying I don't know your reasons for it because I can't for sure say I've heard that combination. Not belittling your choices. :p

18. Lukehwd

Lukehwd

Mar 18, 2013
    Haha ok fair enough. I'm really not sure what that would run me to put that into whichever bass I chose though. Anybody have any ideas or other opinions?

19. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ibanez ATK!! ATK305 perhaps.

20. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    Look up the prices of the parts you want. Then talk to anyone you know who has experience with a soldering iron. :p Or ask for a quote from a local tech who does those kinds of upgrades. If you know the combo and sound you want, you're going to most likely be disappointed if you compromise.