Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass > SVT-4 > Mixer > Echo Layla > Computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Jan 1, 2005.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    Should this get me a good sound? I've been hearing about direct boxes...would these be better than using my SVT-4? Would a compressor/limiter greatly enhance my sound?

Should I do most of my tweaking on my amp and not the mixer? Where should the gain of both the amp and mixer be at?

I'm just looking for the best way to record my bass!

2. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I'd like to know an answer to this as well. I've just purchased a ehco layla 20 and i ahve problems getting the bass to sound good without sounding distorted and because of the ability to change the level of the output from the amp, where should the best setting be so that its not too loud and not too quiet?

3. peters

peters

Aug 29, 2005
    You need to get a "line level" into your Laya to record.

A direct box, or direct output on your amp (if it has one) will provide a balanced "mic level" output.

You need to bring the mic level to line level using a preamp, either standalone, of a channel in your mixer/console. Ususally the fewer things in the signal path the cleaner and nicer the sound. If you need to go into a mixer for its preamp, try to come out of a "direct out" or the output side of the "insert" and feed that into your layla. This skips all of the mixer and tone control stuff.

If you happen to run into an Avalon U5, it can do all this in one box (but is a bit pricy).

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Open the Layla's control panel--if the echo icon hasn't lodged itself in your taskbar, you'll find it under the Start>Programs menu (I'm assuming you're using Windows with this--not a safe assumption). Turn the level down on whatever input you're plugged into to avoid distortion.

Running an amp into a mixer is only necessary with a direct out. My Ampeg B2 has a line out, with adjustable gain, so I can plug straight in, and dial up the gain until the Layla's control panel hits red occasionally while I play hard. That's the same setting I'd advise if you use a mixer, BTW. You always want to record as hot as you can get for a better signal to noise ratio. If you run the amp DI into a mixer, dial the mixer's trim down until it no longer distorts (even small mixers have LEDs these days, once again, play hard and dial until you occasionally hit red) and then use the mixer main outs into the Layla, once again, until you just start hitting red occasionally while playing hard. (Notice a trend?)

Adjust gain downwards, starting with the stage in front of the Layla, if you hear distortion, until it no longer occurs--finding the right mix of gain stages is part of being an engineer. Expiriment. Some people like certain devices to distort slightly.

A compressor or limiter (actually the same basic device, a limiter is a type of compressor, or a compressor set a certain way) might enhance your sound. Some compressors are designed to be transparent, acting like a fast volume knob. Others are designed to color your sound. Some people's playing style is not suited well with certain compressors, and some people can't live without. Once again, expiriment, see if you can borrow someone else's, or use a freebie software plugin, or something before laying down dough.

I agree with the previous post. I use a Summit Audio TD100, the same idea as an Avalon U5, and it covers the job of preamp very well, but neither of these devices is cheap. If you already have a mixer, see if it will accept a line in and bypass the amp altogether. Try all of these ideas, until you find something you like. Expirimentation is key to learning even basic studio skills, and will help you find what you need and what you like much faster than relying on other peoples ears and opinions. Good luck, let us know how it turns out. :)

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Thought I would chime in with my 2 cents. In light of recent use of the effects send and the DI on my 400+, as well as taking DI's out of other amps, I am advocating a stand alone DI, take that signal right off of your bass. I know, I know it does not capture the sound of your amp, well neither does the line out/DI on your amp either. Most of those jacks are an after thought, not the highest quality and though they may have some "tone" to them its overshadowed by the noise and poor definition. If you really need the sound of your amp/cab then mic the cab, but also get that DI. I'm telling you, you will be much happier with your results.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Oh yeah, damn I wish I had one of the TD100's. Maybe when I ditch the 400+ and go with a pre and power amp set up.