1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass synth effect -moogy sound- Thriller - M. Jackson

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr.Boo, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Hi folks,
    I play in band covering soul/disco/funk revival songs. We play also Thiller form Michale Jackson or Little L from Jamiroqui. What I am searching for is bass synth effect producing that moogy sounding bass sound as in Thriller, if you can understand me. I 100% prefer separate stompt box. Please, does anyone has some idea? I you can post some sound clip, it would be fantastic. Thank you very much!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah is cheap and good, it can do a moogy filter sound and tracks very well. You also get envelope filter / auto-wah sounds and an octaver all thrown into the same pedal.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hate to say it, but the hard-to-find, super expensive Deep Impact has the exact sound you're looking for.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    +1
    In Digitech Synth Wah green

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The BMS can do it. It can make coffee as well.

6. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Yes i read about deep impact, but there has to be some more things on market. The digitech, I tried it, is nice, but not exactly what i am searching for. Beyond that I play EHX bass balls and this thing in combination with EBS octabass (but behringer bass octaver as well!) make very similar sound to the digitech sound. I am searching for moogy synth not autowah sound. I appriciate more tips. THANK YOU ALL!

7. FbassDave

FbassDave

May 29, 2005
    South Oz
    A Korg G5 will get you there, but I fear that may be as tricky to find as the DI... :(

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  9. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Thanks, but korg is also out of production. I tried Boss synth but the sound was not that cup of tea. Maybe behringer bass synt will be good, but is not on market yet. I heard also the Ibanez synth on their www, but it sounded incredibly disgusting:meh: I dislike the fuzzy, distorted types of sound. I want clean synthy like moogy sound, but I want probably more I can get :crying:Any other tips, please. THANK YOU

10. Dr.Boo

Dr.Boo

Mar 31, 2006
    Prague, Czech rep.
    Thanks Danny:), it looks nice, pretty expensive, but interesting

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    You can pretty much get that sound with the bass micro synth - just gave it a go and got quite close.

12. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    They really don't seem to be that hard to find on eBay. I bid on one a couple of weeks back; I could have had it but was looking for a "super bargain" instead of just the usual price. The unit came without an AC adapter, and sold for about $200 as I recall.

13. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    I love moogerfoogers, but I think that the murf will get you the thriller bass-sound.
    I would try the low pass filter with the freqbox. here´s a page with sound samples (at the bottom of the page):
    http://earsmack.com/stuff/freqbox/
    also, if you don´t want to buy 2 units (though you wouldn´t regret any moogerfooger purchase) you could try out the electro harmonix bass micro synth. here´s a demo video:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZxegt4gNgo

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    The DI will get you there. I have one, and it is unbelievable...

Find one, buy it, and try it. If you hate it, resell it. You are almost gaurenteed to get your money back, and maybe more if you go on fleabay.

15. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Thriller.

A BSW isn't gonna cut it. Basically, it can't get that 'subtle.'

While the BMS, G5 or Deep Impact are all pretty much perfect solutions, you could make a poor man's synth and just go distortion >> envelope filter.

Oh, I just dialed in a pretty close imitation on my Ibanez AW-7.

16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

What would be the settings on a BSW to get this sound ?

17. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    The Red Ripper can get pretty synthy with the rip knob cranked.

18. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    +1

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ^^^This