1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Synth - "Le Disko"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacobofarcheus, Oct 1, 2008.

1. jacobofarcheus

jacobofarcheus

Apr 12, 2008
    I can't get my limited combination of pedals to sound like the synth in Le Disko by Shiny Toy Guns.

from 29secs to 39secs

I'm not that familiar with synth effects. I have an Epiphone Jack Casady Bass.

thanks

2. Sounds like Overdrive to me. Maybe a tiny bit of synth.

3. Overdrive?!?! :eyebrow:

Sounds like a PWM synth to me, with a resonant filter applied later in the song, and I can't really envisage pulling it off (or even getting close) without a dedicated synth pedal like a Deep Impact or (perhaps) the new Octavius Squeezer.

PS: that's a terrible bridge section if I've ever heard one. Song was kinda cool up until then!

PPS: anyone believe that keyboardist is actually playing all those parts? His hand movements don't seem to match the sounds.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :confused: Heck no. Fully synth, nothing "bass guitar" in there at all, least of all overdrive on bass. That said, a hard-gated fuzz can get you in the ballpark.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I noticed that too. Pretty sure the synth bass line is a pre-programmed backing track.

6. Would explain the headphones on the drummer!

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    But what explains the God-awful Kiss-style makeup? :rolleyes:

8. good drugs?

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    absolutely. that song is a favorite of mine until the bridge. then it becomes my least favorite song. :rollno:

they should've just kept the riff going for 4 or 8 bars and done some crazy synth or guitar soloing over it.

10. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I think the keyboardist is actually the guy behind the basslines, I remember seeing a video where he actually plays the bass I recommend the follwing songs of them (nice basslines aswell) "Starts with one" and "You are the one"

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    that bridge sounds like it has been thrown in a blender and duped by the killers.

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm, interesting this should come up today. On the way home, I heard the band on the radio promoting tonight's show. They were playing a club not too far from my house.

Back on topic, that's undeniably a synth. Recreating it with a bass wouldn't be easy or cheap, considering the three pedals I'm thinking would be contenders for getting that sound.

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    They're playing here next Saturday. My guitarist and I are going.

Big music fest with Mars Volta, The Black Lips, Gogol Bordello, and more!!!!!!!!! !! ! ! ! !!! !!! ! ! ! !!! !! !

14. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    We (my band, The Post Mortems) played with Shiny Toy Guns at The Picador (formerly Gabe's Oasis) in Iowa City, IA, just before they went "big."

They didn't have a bass player at all, just synth, and were pretty alright folks. They showered and ate fried zuccini at the drummers apartment after the show. At the time they were teaching the singer to play bass, but maybe that never panned out?

The version of their album we got at that show was heavy on synth, but when they re-released it in best Buy and in stores, it was remixed to be more guitar-heavy, with new lines recorded and everything as far as I could tell. Interesting.

15. Tried to get on the bill this year but we got our application in too late :(

16. TheDirtyMoocher

TheDirtyMoocher

Nov 11, 2004
    I just got pretty close with a Meatball and an English Muff'n. I feel like you could get close enough with just the distortion though.

17. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bummer! You talking about the battle of the bands deal?

It's gonna be killer.

If you're gonna be here in LA, CA you should give me a shout. It's always a treat to meet good ol' Louisiana folk outside of the boot.

18. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    no doubt it's a synth
    its similar to the muse one (the synth bass, not distortion) it'll be tricky to get it exact with bass
    but i'd say once you get the bubbly with the resonance for the higher notes (makes it almost squelch) try putting an EQ after, cutting the high mids, leaving the highs alone more or less, and boosting the lows

19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    expect the volta to play a subpar performance :scowl:

20. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why is that?

I've always been the only person in my bands to have NOT seen them, and all I've heard has been good things. The videos I've seen were always pretty awesome, too.