bass synth maybe??????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, May 21, 2001.

1. I mainly play metal bass, and I usally just play threw my amp and no effects at all. The guitarist I play with and I have decided we are gunna do sorta a techno side prodject kind like some of Rob Zombie's work. I'm sort on cash and need some ideas for what effects I might need. I was thinking bass synth but I really have no clue on what I should even be looking at.
  2. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Akai SB-1 Deep Impact is the synth to check out, IMO. $200. 9 different analog synth effects. Easy to use. Easy to set parameters. Intuitive set up. Great sound. And it can emulate a Bassballs envelope filter and a kind of octave divider, too.

3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You might want to check out the Boss Bass Syth pedal, too, which is also around $200. You can get all sorts of crazy sounds out of that puppy. I'd own one if that was my cup of tea.
  4. has anyone heard anything about the Alesis NanoBass?
  5. I believe that the Alesis Nanobass is a MIDI module for keyboard players. I doubt that it could be used for bass guitar. As for suggestions, try out the basics first: chorus, flanger, envelope filter, distortion, octaver etc. and find the sound you are after. You could also check out some of the multi-effects that are out there from Zoom or Boss. You usually can find them used at fair prices.
  6. I have found that I can get unique distortion/overdrive tones from an Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer. Made for guitar, but has a real Pitchshifter type bass sound. And only $80!
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    EH Bass microsynth is very nice and it tracks very well. The sliders take a while to get used to, but it is a great synthy pedal. You can get "Flash Gordon" space sounds to Herbie Hancock Chameleon keyboard bass with it. and even bowed sounds.

8. Steve Cat

Steve Cat

Mar 19, 2001
    I bought the Akai SB-1 Deep Impact and it sounded great tracked poorly and then crapped out all together. Bought it off the internet so it would be hard to get warrantly repair/ drat! Lesson learned

Anyway, next time, maybe soon I think I'd get Bassballs from GC, who are very good about returns!

BTW I believe the Akai is digital and the Bassballs is analog
  9. how much do the eh micro synths go for used? i know they got for about 300 new but I'm tight for cash only have about 150 to spend.
  10. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    The NanoBass is indeed a MIDI sound module - you need a MIDI capable input device (i.e. a keyboard) in order to trigger the sounds on it.

The sounds it has are quite good - I actually have one in my bass rack. I can trigger the sounds in it because I have a MIDI pickup on my bass.

11. who makes a MIDI bass pickup? I knew they have them for guitars but I never heard of a bass one, and could you use one with an active preamp?
  12. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    The two companies that make/made them are Axon and Yamaha.

They work independently of your active preamp - it's very similar in design to the Roland Gk-2a pickup for guitar, if you're familiar with that.

I don't think that Yamaha makes the B1-D pickup anymore, but they may still make the G-50 Guitar/Bass Pitch to Midi converter.

Here's a link to Axon's page:

The gear is interchangeable - so you can mix, for instance, an Axon pickup and a Yamaha G50 (which, in fact, is what I do.)

I'm not aware of any other bass to midi manufacturers, but I've not researched it since I got my gear.
  13. that stuff looks tight but its so far out of my [rice range I could never imagine to be able to afford it, but thanks for the info