1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass synth pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aidanI, Nov 15, 2006.

1. aidanI

aidanI

Oct 16, 2006
    England
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I hated the last one that I played through.

3. aidanI

aidanI

Oct 16, 2006
    England
    o rite cheers, i thought it was good for slow stuff, but it cant realy keep up with quavers, i like it but at £149........:)

4. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    i shall write what i wrote in ur original thread

I really did not like it, i personally, if u want a synth go for the Ibanez SB7 (comes in at around £67), but try out alot. Another one that gets alot of mention on here for around the same price range is the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, or the EHX Bass Synth. Also i think that is incredibley over priced, if u want the Boss one i would get the SYB-5 which is bout £85, just my 2 cents

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own one, it works but tweaking it is touchy, small changes in the knobs make big changes in the sound. Do you know anything about programming synthesizers? It helps if you do, then it's easier to dial in the sounds.

It actually tracks fast playing just fine IF you are careful about muting AND you have dialed in sounds appropriate to fast playing!

I find the filter modes to be rather touchy, it's hard to dial in the settings to get quick wahs compared to filter-only pedals like a MuTron.

All in all, it has rather limited application for most bassists.

6. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    I didn't like the tracking.
    It's just not the sound I was expecting from a synth pedal.
    I'd wait for the opportunity to buy a EHX Bass Micro Synth.
    The best to my ears.
    But that's just me.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I haven't heard a lot of good things said about the Boss Bass Synths. Most people prefer the DigiTech BSW for a compact pedal. The EHX MBS is probably one of the most tweakable and best sounding bass synth pedals out there, but it's expensive and big.

8. Yeah, people seem to prefer the digitech around here, and from my limited exposure I tend to agree with them.

9. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i have an syb5, as well as the ibanez sb7. both are good for their own different sounds. if worked carefully, they can be combined for some interesting noises!
    +1 in regard to the control issues - you have to be quite careful with the controls otherwise it can sound pretty rough!

10. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Surprising, as it's one of the few pedals mentioned that is actually a synthesizer. My love/hate relationship with the SYB-3 continues to this day. Every time I'm ready to get rid of it, I find a setting which sounds really cool - but I'm always hard pressed to replicate it later on.

Re: tracking - heavy compression before the SYB-3 (or 5) helps a lot.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The BSW is worth the bread for the envelope/octave setting ALONE! The more synthy tones are great as well.

12. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, try out the DigiTech BSW. Much better tracking, and a couple killer modes.

-Dash

13. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    +1 on that.
    Give the BSW a try.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  15. get the digitech BSW & U have a far more useable pedal-cheaper too!

16. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
  17. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    thanks for that, really making me wish it was tomorrow. That's when my BSW is supposed to be delivered :bawl:

18. dehory

dehory

Oct 13, 2005
    New York, NY
    £149 is way overpriced. Like many others, I found it a hugely frustrating pedal and struggled to get useable sounds out of it.

If you've tried it out, you'll know what you think of it...

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I owned an original issue EH Bass Synth in the 80s. The Boss tracks way better. It's also more rugged but with fewer controls you can't get as many potential sounds out of it as the EH.

BTW the original EH synths had internal power supplies, the wall warts of the new ones are a total drag.

20. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I even find myself using the envelope filter settings (1 and 2) on the BSW more than I use my EBS BassIQ these days.

For a GREAT Claypool setting, I use Fulltone Bass Drive + BSW, setting #2 + Guyatone delay. Great for Claypool-like solos.

Still haven't found a suitable use for the "Ey" and "Yeah" synth sounds yet, though. ;)