Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass synth usage question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FuturePrimitive, May 21, 2003.

1. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Ok, I'm a little confused on the whole bass synth thing. I'm in a "band" (term used loosely) and we're thinking of adding Rush's Tom Sawyer to our song list. We have no keyboard player. I was thinking of using a bass synth to play the keyboard parts on my bass (since the keys part is nearly identical to the bass part and there is no concurrent bass part). Is this possible? I was looking at a GT-6B today at GC but since I didn't have a clue what I was doing with it I didn't get too far.

What other FX/synths are capable of doing what I'm looking for?

Which models can track more than 1 note at a time, for chords or maybe even two handed tapping?

What about tracking? I hear a lot of units have trouble tracking and I'm not sure how slow you would need to play to track properly (it's a moderatley fast part).

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I've never heard a bass-synth that sounds like the keyboards in Tom Sawyer. You may have to use some "creative license" with that one.

3. i know rush often used moog tarus bass pedals.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a setting in my Akai Deep Impact that pretty much sounds like it.
    It's not exactly the same though.

5. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm not really asking if the sounds in a particular bass synth will be like the synth parts in TS though. I'm essentially asking if a bass can be used like a MIDI controller. I want to play the synth parts on my bass through a synth. I'll worry about getting the right patch after I know the mechanics are possible.

So can the GT-6B play in "full synth mode"? The one I tried seemed like there was always regular bass coming through. I couldn't figure out if it was actually bass or just the way the patch sounded though. I am a total noob when it comes to effects and synths! I appreciate any input. Thanks.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use the EH Microsynth, and you can get the Rush sound with that (sort of). I imagine you can get a synth only sound with the GT6B; you may have to program the dry signal out.

You may want to try setting the start frequency pretty high, and set the end freq low. Set the rate at very slow, and keep your resonance at about 75%. That should do the trick, provided you have those parameters on your unit.