1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass synth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickp, Aug 17, 2012.

1. patrickp

patrickp

Jul 6, 2012
    Hi everyone!! I'm new here, I'm a bass player, but I'd like to start playing synth as nowadays a lot of gigs require bass lines played on synth.

My problem is that I don't have much knowledge about this instrument, so I'm looking for help here =)

What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!!

2. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    What are you looking to do? Play synth like sounds with a bass, trigger synth sounds with an audio to midi converter (on your bass) or play synth bass lines on a keyboard? Also, what types of synths are you looking to use?

3. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I actually do all three.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Been playing a keytar as of recently for the hip-hop band I'm in. Works very well, and I get a bunch of great tones that fit well with the music.

For me, it was and is all about learning the instrument. I did it in the same way as I did bass- listen to songs and learn how to play them on the keys. For some (like me) it seems to come easier, and if you already play bass well, the transition should be one of technique more than anything. Best thing to do is jump in with both feet, and maybe watch some lessons on youtube. And practice.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I am a long time bassist, who recently switched to synth full time. i can tell you, I've already owned 6 different synths. They are NOT all created equally. A good mono synth for starters is the DSI MoPho keyboard. Awesome sounds, and plenty of knobs to tweak. Moogs Little Phatty is another good choice, but it has fewer options re: mod routing, and no sequencer. If you want a polysynth, an older Virus, A, B, or C are all really good machines. Then there's a bunch of Roland, and Korg synths, but those are not for me. I like a good knobby synth, as that's where the fun is with synthesizers. Actually "synthesizing", instead of playing presets. I think a MoPho, or the new MoPho X4, (which has 4 voice polyphony) would be great starters.

6. ngnt

ngnt

Apr 22, 2012
    D.C.
    If you want to play synth stuff on a bass than check out the ehx microsynth and the markbass supersynth. the ehx has some the old school analog sounds down for sure and the markbass has a ton of parameters you can edit via usb and octave settings.

I personally do the mac/midi keyboard combo. I use apple's mainstage and run all my synth stuff through there which gives you way more options and versatility in comparison to anything else. The main softsynth I use is called Sylenth1 by LennarDigital and I recommend it to everyone. Super easy to use and you can get tons of sounds.

I think the software synth is the way to go. If you spend the time with it you can come up with great sounds. And depending on what kind of gigs you are getting there are things that you can do with a softsynth that you can't with anything else i.e. sidechain compression on the basslines. I have several patches of my bands songs set up so the lowest keys on the keyboard are my triggers for my sidechain so I control the pulsing of the bassline without relying on a track. But there are tons of solid options and it all depends on what you'll be playing and what you want out of the sounds.