Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Synths

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Anybody have any experience playing any of the current bass synths? I'm somewhat settled on the Line 6 FM-4 but thought I'd post for comments.

So far I've seen/heard:
    Boss SYB-3
    Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synth
    Line 6 FM-4
    Akai Deep Impact
    Ibanez SB-7
    Digitech XBW

And then there's the Roland V-Bass which seems to be more of a modeling pedal than a bass synth and of course the Bass POD.

Your comments please...

Cheers

2. bass pod very bad
    boss synth also very bad
    ibanez and digitech are not so great either
    bass microsynth sounds great but a little overbearing with all the sliders
    i really want to try a deep impact

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Bigfeet. Paging Bigfeet. Bigfeet, Please Report to this thread. Thank you.

Bigfeet is the guy to talk to if you're wondering about synths. I am also kinda wondering about a good synth myself...

4. I think the Ibanez is very cool but more like a bass synth emulator. An all-in-one box that could prove very handy if you wanted to cut down on floor space taken up by filters, fuzzes,etc..I like it?

5. Would you care to elaborate on that a little bit? Maybe say what you don'tlike about them? I think the Pod is pretty good, but it's more of an amp emulator than a synth. The Boss synth has quite a large variety of sounds that are pretty cool, but it has some tracking problems. But then again, none of the synth pedals I've used have given sounds that are sound good when playing very fast.

6. That's because you haven't tried the Ibanez. It ain't digital and has no tracking issues. Of course, it isn't *really* a bass synth either.

7. I have tried the Ibanez. I didn't find any tracking issues with it, but I found that most of the sounds I got from it were kind of long effects that took awhile to finish up. It's kind of hard to describe, but it sounded pretty muddy when you played really fast with it. I don't know, maybe I didn't spend enough time with it or needed to adjust the decay or something.

8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The Bass Pod has some serious tracking issues. The response from the Synth effect is terribly inconsistant.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've had the Akai Deep Impact for almost a year.

I got it originally so one of my bands could put No Doubt's "Hella Good" into our sets.

I like the unit a lot because it does things "right" (the "hard" way) -

> 4 oscillators
    > very good tracking even on a B string
    > true bypass
    > 9 programmable presets
    > strong steel casing with adequately large LED
    > uses a regular 9V wall wart (none of this Boss PSA-120 power supply nonsense)

Running it into a stereo amp makes it even trippier.

The only "downside", if you want to call it that, I've found is that you have spend time with it and get familiar with the parameter settings to make each preset sound quite different from another.

"Bass Player" gave it a "5" out of "5" for sound. While I typically smirk at BP ratings, this unit makes some surprising synth sounds I've only heard on keyboard synths.

10. Yup..You can get a very fast attack with it depending on where you set the decay or adjust those synth switches. Works very well and offers up a B4 the fuzz and after the fuzz placement for the filtr which can be very dramatic depending on where you set it.
    For athentic synth tones score yourself a Deep Impact OR even better, a truly remarkable Korg G5 bass synth which puts ALL the others to shame. DO a search for info and settings for this model.

11. Has anybody tried the Digitech Bass Synth Wah?

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the Ibanez SB-7 and have been happy with it for the price, less than $80 for a new one mail order. It's not actually a synth pedal with ocillators; I think that it's just an envelope filter with a little overdrive on certain presets. I built an effects board and use it with a Boss Bass Chorus and an Octave. It does the job nicely. Here are my comments on the others:

Boss SYB-3: I didn't bother with this one because of all the negative comments on tracking problems that I read here at TB.

EH Microsynth: expensive and sounds great. requires you to spend time tweaking and finding your sound - so many controls and sliders!

Line 6 FM-4: expensive. Although I didn't get to try it, I noticed it got good reviews.

Akai Deep Impact: expensive and sounds great, I almost bought this one. I was trying to stick within my budget when I built my pedal board.

Digitech: I have not tried this one.

If you spend a little more, you get a slightly better sound. Which pedal you choose depends on personal taste. If price were not an issue, I get a micro synth and a deep impact.

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use the SYB-3. It's freaky but not worth the $.

All of the others are on my GAS list.

14. Sorry, allot of band practice has torn me away from the boards recently.

Boss SYB-3: Sucks, works best on the guitar funny enough

Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synth: Love it; nice wide palate of sounds, all anolog, bassiest one you'll find, and it's just plan weird.

Line 6 FM-4: Very strange octisynth and other mods sound pretty nice. Almost like real keyboard synths.

Akai Deep Impact: Sounds most like a keyboard out of all of them, lots of control.

Ibanez SB-7: Too sharp, too much resonance... My guitarist wants this one.

Digitech XBW: The Subwah is pretty cool, I got a pretty decent KMFDMish sub beat from it. It's more sensitive to softer playing styles.

Korg G5: Sounds good, and doesn't dumb things down at all.

15. Electro-Harmonix has some sounds of the Micro Synth on its website and Musiciansfriend.com has some sounds of the Boss SYB-3, Akai Deep Impact, and the Line 6 FM-4.

After listening to those sounds, the EH Micro Synth sounds very good and to my ears much better than all of the others. The drawback seems to be the need to tweak the settings which appears to be impossible live. Also, I wanted to be able to have two sounds, a deep bass sound and a solo sound. I'd have to have two EH boxes for this. The post above about setting up the unit on a mic stand with a remote footswitch is a very good idea indeed.

The Line 6 and the Deep Impact both offered preset storage which solves the two sound problem. These two sound quite abit better than the Boss but I'm not convinced they sound as nice as I would like (now that I've heard the EH).

I'll be going to Sam Ash this weekend to make my final decision after playing through as many as I can.

16. I have the EH bass microsynth...it's not that hard to use,but I will say that the sliders are kinda hard to get used to at first.it can be hard to find "exact location" sometimes,especially if it's on the floor and it's dark.I've been thinking about putting it on a stand w\a small light (kinda like a mixing board light).and the bypass sucks!!! if you don't mind a little tone loss,no big deal.(it might not be that bad if thats the only pedal in your chain)....but once you learn what each slider does it's easy..this pedal is COOL!!!from Bootsy funk to moog like sounds..I really like the "start freq." and "stop freq."sliders.they controll the filters sweep and range.they give you up sweeps and down sweeps(or swells as some might say)and used with the rate controll it can be fast or slow. Yes, it is an expensive pedal but it does sound great...