Bass Tabs for PortisHead's "It's a fire"...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FredC, Jun 25, 2001.

1. FredC

Apr 14, 2001
    US, Cleveland
    Hi everyone,

I have a last minute gig and the lead singer wants to through a cover of PortisHead's "It's a fire". Does anybody have the bass tabs, the chords progression or any valuable information about that song ?
  2. i don't have a tab, but nice music choice, i love portishead. see if your singer will do a cover of "wandering star." now that's powerbass. :)
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I was just turned on to Portishead this weekend. Oh my gawd!!! I cant believe I've been missing this. They are amazing. I picked up the live CD and cant wait to hear some studio stuff. Any recommendations.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I have been a fan for years...

if you had to pick one album, get the Roseland PNYC Live CD... has great songs from the other 2 albums... the sound AMazing live.

Beth Gibbons is the best female voice IMO, the bass in the recordings is nothing flashy but is there (it´s more like bass loops).

too bad they haven´t released an album in years... i´m still waiting.

the other two albums are:
    -Dummy (the first one)
    -Portishead (self titled)

i strongly recomend getting the 3 albums... in one of my trips to US i got those three and the "Glory Times" double Single... HARD TO FIND :)

Songs to check:
    -Sour times
    -Glory Box
    -All Mine
    -Numb (my fave)
    -Half Day Closing
    -To kill a dead man (it´s an instrumental B-side, not on albums)
    -Only you (the most popular)

so there´s my .02 USD
  5. hell yeah dave- is that version of glory box from PNYC incredible or what?
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    it´s incredible... also ROADS gets my eyes all wet :)

i once worked in local radio station and put "glory box" live and i really enjoyed it... i hope someone was listening :)
  7. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Portishead are a great band , their taking a long time with the new album though. And so are Massive Attack , which I am very much looking forward to
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah... MAssive attack is also one of my favorites... i was really into this "Trip Hop" music that exploded some years ago...

where are they now???? :(
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I like Portishead as well (I have two CDs) , but from what I've heard and seen on "live" TV programmes; they don't have a bass player and are usually using samples, loops and programmed drums. So you are almots certainly not going to find any bass transcriptions; but they are pretty easy to figure out from the records - not many changes and very repetitive.

PS Massive Attack are still going, but they are very "meticulous" music-makers and take several years to make an album! Expect one in 2-3 years!
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

they have a LIVE bassist

He´s called Jim Barr, i have seen him in some shows (like "Jools Holland") and i also got the Roseland Live VIDEO, i got it years ago, you can see the bassist playing a Fender Jazz (Red) and a Fender P (White)... he also played Double bass on some songs in that video...

he´s pretty much invisible and repetitive but he´s there....
  11. Sounds like Kevin Shields... I'm still waiting for that new My Bloody Valentine record which he has promised will be out soon for the last five years.

Maybe someday...
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmm...he must be - I saw them on Jool's Holland's Later and didn't notice a bass player - just looked like guitar, drums and programmes apart from lead vocals.. and he's not credited on the albums I have.

It was a long time ago though and I'm not that big a fan now - seems as though they have struggled to come up with something new.
  13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i dont remember if he´s in that show but he plays live...

if you don´t see him credited is because he´s a LIVE bassist... actually Adrian Utley (guitarist) writes and plays most basses in the Phead songs.