Bass Tabs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Maidenrulz, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Metal

16 vote(s)
  2. Jazz

10 vote(s)
  3. Punk

9 vote(s)
  4. Blues

4 vote(s)
  1. Hey anyone out there know where a site where I can buy some bass talature books. Specifacially I am looking for some punk tab books but any sites please send me in a response. Thanks allot
  2. Not much selection there, eh? I would say all of the above, plus many others.
  3. What does the poll have to do with tabs. Do you mean, your favorite music to play with tabs, then jazz, yes, jazz with tabs is the best :rolleyes::p:D
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    As much as I hate putting a thread about tab in GENERAL INSTRUCTION, that's where it's going.
  5. A lot of punk songs are really simple, you might be able to figure them out. Plus, you don't need to BUY tabs, they are for free all over the internet.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

But tab books are generally much more reliable than Internet tabs. The transcriptions are from professionals who have a reputation to maintain.

Also tab books are written in both standard notation and tab, so that you can see the rhythm and other important information. The songs are also complete, so you don't get a skeleton of the song.

It was through buying tab transcriptions of favorite music, that I grew interested in learning to read standard notation because I saw that it had much more information that tab alone.

Tab books are quite expensive, though. They generally run at least twenty dollars.

Warner Brothers Publications also has a large selection of tab books. Be advised that many are for guitar, not bass.
  7. I play punk but that's besides the poit... No matter what you play learn music notation! You will not regret it.
  8. Metal and Jazz... AT THE SAME TIME!!! LOL :) :)
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Well actually, my band sometimes plays in a blues-metal style... but jazz-metal, i'll have to try that sometime.
  10. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    I like books. I get really sick of most internet tabs because more often than not they are not right or incomplete. as far as punk goes, for MOST generic punk bands, if you can find a guitar book, that might be just as good if not better. Frequently, the bass very very closely follows the guitar. In my weezer pinkerton (not that the album is punk or easy by any means) they make notes from time to time of what the bass is playing if it differs greatly from the guitar, it's nice.

sometimes books can be shifty in that they usually give you the right notes, but put them in really cruddy positions.
    <font face="courier">
    G|-11-| (i'm affraid my fingers don't do that)

e|---------------| |---------------| ?
    B|---------------| |---------------| ?
    G|---------------| |---------------| ?
    D|-6-6-6-6-4---4-|=|-6-6-6-6-4-2-4-| ?
    A|-----------7---| |-------0-0-0-0-| ?
    E|-7-7-7-5-5-5-5-| |-7-7-7---------| ?

Why do they do stuff like that?
  11. The first example is probably meant as a 2, then 2 1's right after.

The second is chords, rmember, they are GUITAR tabs.
  12. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    you missunderstood me.

first of all, that IS an 11... it is much easier to play it on the next string on a lower fret. the second example is showing how poorly the aranged the first one, check out the one on the left, then the one on the right, the first is how the book shows it, the second is how i figured it out, which is easier?
  13. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    someone please refresh my memory: why exactly are we talking about guitar tab again?
  14. junior

May 6, 2001
    Austin, Tx
  15. Lemme suggest you screw the tab sites...figure the song out, its not hard with punk...learn the guitar riffs, and figure the bassline off that. Don't trust tabs on the net...they are always saying "I tabbed this correctly, and its 100% right." And before you know it, the intro is wrong. Just learn it on your own...its saves you time.
  16. SADLY, the only internet tabs I can recommend are the ones i wrote:D at, my name is still the same (fleabass89).
  17. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This thread has made me laugh. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why, it just has.
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It doesn't have a whole helluva lot to do with this post, but I wish that the people/companies that print the tablature, would include the bass tab along with the guitar tab, or vice versa. Generally, there are more guitar tabs than bass tabs and I have often thought, "Wouldn't it make sense to print one big book that included the bass and the guitar tab in the same book?" They could either print the bass tab right under the guitar tab (like they now do in Guitar World magazine), or they could print the guitar tab in the front half of a book, then turn the book over and upside down and print the bass tab in the back. Does anyone get what I am shooting at here? :confused:

PS...Don't be an anti-tab Fascist.