Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Tabs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Juli, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Juli

Juli

Oct 15, 2000
    Does anyone know of any good Jazz web sites that have bass tabs from artists such as Louie Armstrong?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I think you have to realise that double bass players don't use Tabs and will almost always read charts, lead sheets or standard notation. Most of those lines will have been made up just from the chords.

Having said that, I remember that JimK was incredulous about the fact that the Tab archive on this site actually had some tab for a Jimmy Blanton upright bass part, which fulfils this criteria. So if you follow the "Tabs link at the top of the page and look for "Blanton" you should find it - but I think if you are interested in Jazz or Big Band stuff, then you really need to get into Standard Notation and Chord Charts - you won't find many tabs in Jazz? ;)

3. wow, tabs for double bass. Maybe that'll help me get started. Ya know, tell me which frets to play... ;)

Seriously though. Juli, your profile says you play piano and violin. Why on earth do you need tabs??? :confused: